Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk/Sed: Search Pattern from file and Print Post 302491472 by saint2006 on Thursday 27th of January 2011 02:21:20 PM
Old 01-27-2011
Awk/Sed: Search Pattern from file and Print

Hi,

I want to search for patterns (from a file) in a file and print the line matching the patterns and the line before it.

I have to search for 100s of patterns from a file.

Any help with AWK or Sed.

Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to print if the search pattern contains speace

the data file is as below: > cat master.cnf /usr| location for usr|5 /src/ver1| version 1 |10 /src/ver2/log| ver 2 log |25 /src/sys/apps/log| Application log for sys|36 /src/sys/apps/conf| configuration location for app|45 /src/sys/apps/bin| binary location app|55my script is as below: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: McLan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and print previous lines from a particular point

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting and I have a problem. I have a file in which I have to search for a particular pattern say 'a' then from that line I need to search for another pattern say 'b' in the previous lines and thne print the file from pattern 'b' till the end of file. For eg: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaislearning
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/awk for reverse search and print

I have a file which is DFDG START DSFDS DSDS XXX END (VIO) AADD START SDSD FGFG END and I have to print the lines between START and END (VIO). In the files there are multiple places where START would be followed by END with few lines in between but I need to print only if START is... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgbuddy
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to search multiple pattern in file with grep/sed/awk

Hello All, I have a file which is having below type of data, Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Here I wanted to grep for date pattern as below, so that it should only grep "Jul 20" OR "Jul ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print pattern between two variables awk sed

I am trying to print text between two variables in a file I have tried the following things but none seem to work: awk ' /'$a'/ {flag=1;next} /'$b'/{flag=0} flag { print }' file and also sed "/$a/,/$b/p" file But none seem to work Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumbaba
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One liner pattern search with awk/sed/grep

I have an array containing bunch of characters. I have to check this array for specific character and if "Not Found than" use a goto statement to go to USAGE set options = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#options}) if ($options != "F" || $options != "D") then goto USAGE endif @... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies
copt(1) 							z88 Development Kit							   copt(1)

NAME
copt - peephole optimizer SYSNOPIS
copt file ... DESCRIPTION
copt is a general-purpose peephole optimizer. It reads code from its standard input and writes an improved version to its standard output. copy reads the named files for its optimizations, which are encoded as follows: <pattern for input line 1> <pattern for input line 2> ... <pattern for input line n> = <pattern for output line 1> <pattern for output line 2> ... <pattern for output line m> <blank line> Pattern matching uses literal string comparison, with one exception: ``%%'' matches the ``%'' character, and ``%'' followed by a digit matches everything up to the next occurrence of the next pattern character, though all occurrences of %n must denote the same string. For example, the pattern ``%1=%1.'' matches exactly those strings that begin with a string X, followed by a ``='' (the first), followed by a second occurrence of X, followed by a period. In this way, the input/output pattern mov $%1,r%2 mov *r%2,r%2 = mov %1,r%2 commands copt to replace runs like mov $_a,r3 mov *r3,r3 with mov _a,r3 Note that a tab or newline can terminate a %n variable. copt compares each run of input patterns with the current input instruction and its predecessors. If no match is found, it advances to the next input instruction and tries again. Otherwise, it replaces the input instructions with the corresponding output patterns, pattern vari- ables instantiated,and resumes its search with the first instruction of the replacement. copt matches input patterns in reverse order to cascade optimizations without backing up. BUGS
Errors in optimization files are always possible. SEE ALSO
z88dk(1), z88dk-zcc(1), z88dk-z80asm(1), z88dk-appmake(1), z88dk-copt(1). AUTHOR
z88dk was written by Dominic Morris <dom@z88dk.org>, and others. 01 December 2009 copt(1)