Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Incrementing variable in for
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Incrementing variable in for Post 302491331 by limadario on Thursday 27th of January 2011 06:52:31 AM
Old 01-27-2011
I want to increment the res$c so i can get a variable like:
$res1
$res2
$res3
$res4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

No. post not incrementing

Hi Admin, i just noticed that when I do postings, the number does not increment. eg : Post A -Total Posts 312 Post B - Total Posts 312 Post C - Total Posts 313 Post D - Total Posts 313 Why is this so? Can you kindly check this out? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
5 Replies

2. Linux

Incrementing the date stored in the variable

Hi all, I have a variable with date as 20080831 . Now I want to increment it as 20080901 and so on.Is there any command for this. Please help me. thanks rameez (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing a variable is not happening

Hi All, Iam trying to increment a variable Following is the code #!/usr/bin/ksh i=1; i='expr $i+1'; echo $i; Output: expr $i+1 not able to understand why its happening in that way i was expecting result as 2... if the above method is worng .. can you help how i can get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranlalka
3 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Incrementing Variable resets outside of while loop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Variable is resetting to 0 after incrementing in while loop My bit of scripting displays the current users logged in the machine. Then it reads in a specific username and displays the processes for that user. The portion that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratzlaff
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing with a twist - please help

I'm currently trying to write a ksh or csh script that would change the name of a file found in directories and attach to the name an incrementing three digit number. I know how to write a script that will go: 000, 001, 002, 003, etc The twist is I need more increments then allowed by a 3... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rust
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem in incrementing the variable

When I did, echo $SHELL in cmd prompt of putty, its displaying /bin/sh And in my shell script., I hav started with., #!/bin/sh and i=1; while ; do . . . i=$; (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing Variable Names

Hi, I am using BASH. I have encountered a situation where the following is necessary (but I am not sure how to do it): #Define multiple arrays, whose names only differ by a number: ARRAY_1=(1 2 3) ARRAY_2=(4 5 6) ARRAY_3=(7 8 9) #Define ARRAY_AMOUNT, the number of arrays. In this case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing the variable name along with the data?

Hello folks. I am trying to increment my variable names to match a counter that is to be used later on... Basically, i have a for loop that lists directories (for example TEST_OS DVP_OS PROD_OS ) but this loop is not static, it may contain 3 directory once and the next run 5 directories. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with incrementing the date

I have a date variable like 2012-12-31 ( YYYY -MM -DD ) in flat file and it has to be incremtented by 1 every time i run the script Example : i tried the below script after data modifcation but this does not seem to work expr `20121231 +%Y%m%d` + 1 Note : Mine is not a GNU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing specific and incrementing lines of text from file via variable

This is part of a larger script where I need to pass only 1 line of a file to the script, based on a variable and not a direct reference. As part of a for loop : # for((line=0;line<50;line++)); do # awk ‘NR==$line' PhraseList.txt; done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
5 Replies
incr(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							incr(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
incr - Increment the value of a variable SYNOPSIS
incr varName ?increment? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Increments the value stored in the variable whose name is varName. The value of the variable must be an integer. If increment is supplied then its value (which must be an integer) is added to the value of variable varName; otherwise 1 is added to varName. The new value is stored as a decimal string in variable varName and also returned as result. Starting with the Tcl 8.5 release, the variable varName passed to incr may be unset, and in that case, it will be set to the value incre- | ment or to the default increment value of 1. EXAMPLES
Add one to the contents of the variable x: incr x Add 42 to the contents of the variable x: incr x 42 Add the contents of the variable y to the contents of the variable x: incr x $y Add nothing at all to the variable x (often useful for checking whether an argument to a procedure is actually integral and generating an error if it is not): incr x 0 SEE ALSO
expr(3tcl) KEYWORDS
add, increment, variable, value Tcl incr(3tcl)