Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to remove characters from multiple .txt files Post 302491271 by meetsubhas on Thursday 27th of January 2011 05:22:09 AM
Old 01-27-2011
How to remove characters from multiple .txt files

Friends,

I want to remove charecters from multiple .txt files.

Foe example :
Quote:
a.txt
b.txt
c.txt
In this .txt files there are many "ctrl m" present in last of each line in one .txt file.

I want to remove "ctrl m" from each line from all .txt files.

Need your help regarding this.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 01-30-2011 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: added quote tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove multiple characters once

i have a variable in a bash shell script called $hostname. $hostname will always be different except it will always start with "-s " that is a - an s and a space. so echo $hostname will look like this: -s somehostname.com how can i get rid of the leading -s ? ive tried tr -d but that gets... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help--script to filter specific lines from multiple txt files

Hi folks, - I have 800 txt files - those files are cisco router configs router1.txt router2.txt ... router800.txt I want to accomplish the following: - I want to have a seperate file with all the filenames that I want to process - I want a script that goes trough all those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep on search string in a txt file over multiple files

I have a couple of things I got stuck on 1) I have a text file containing 25k search string that I need to search against compressed file. I have used this command but somehow it doesn't seems to use all the search terms. I have put one search string per line in the txt file (I clean up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m00
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove last 2 characters of txt file

sed 's/^..//' file1.txt > file2.txt this will remove the first two characters of each line of a text file, what sed command will remove the last two characters? This is a similar post to my other....sry if I'm being lazy.... I need a file like this (same as last post) >cat file1.txt 10081551... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain lines in multiple txt files?

Hi , I have this type of files:- BGH.28OCT2008.00000001.433155.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000002.1552361.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000003.1438355.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000004.1562602.001 Inside them contains the below: 5Discounts 6P150 - Max Total Usage RM150|-221.00 P150 EPP - Talktime RM150... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olloong
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files with special characters - how to remove

Hi, I have a directory that has a file which contained special characters in the filename. Can someone please advise how to remove the file, preferably with a rm -i ? Thanks in advance. Listing is as below: {oracle}> ls -1b bplog.bkup.001 bplog.bkup.002 bplog.bkup.003 bplog.bkup.004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove characters from list of files

done some homework on this-- after i remove up to and including the ) i want to take newfile.txt and use that list to remove the files from a file in my the directory pwd i have a input.txt file cat input,txt 1)mary.jpg 12)john.jpg 100)frankkfkdf .jpg i want to remove the characters in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plener
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove degree symbol from the TXT files?

I have TXT files to process but they contain the degree symbols in them due to which the processing program fails on these files. I want a unix command that will remove the degree symbols from these files. I tried using the sed command: sed 's///g' filename but it did not work. This issue... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: khedu
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates from two files using n characters for comparison

Hi All, I have two files file1 123456CRTGHG 125437CRNDGF 126537CRDDGF file2 123456CRTZHC 124567CJHGHG 125987CJHGDF I need to compare the two files and any records in file 1 and 2 based on initial n characters (6 in example) need to be ignored. string separated by unprintable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop?

Hi Fellows, I was wondering how I can remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop in unix? e.g. water123.xyz water456.xyz to 123.xyz 456.xyz Thanks Paul Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
3 Replies
gensprep(8)							 ICU 50.1.2 Manual						       gensprep(8)

NAME
gensprep - compile StringPrep data from files filtered by filterRFC3454.pl SYNOPSIS
gensprep [ -h, -?, --help ] [ -v, --verbose ] [ -c, --copyright ] [ -s, --sourcedir source ] [ -d, --destdir destination ] DESCRIPTION
gensprep reads filtered RFC 3454 files and compiles their information into a binary form. The resulting file, <name>.icu, can then be read directly by ICU, or used by pkgdata(8) for incorporation into a larger archive or library. The files read by gensprep are described in the FILES section. OPTIONS
-h, -?, --help Print help about usage and exit. -v, --verbose Display extra informative messages during execution. -c, --copyright Include a copyright notice into the binary data. -s, --sourcedir source Set the source directory to source. The default source directory is specified by the environment variable ICU_DATA. -d, --destdir destination Set the destination directory to destination. The default destination directory is specified by the environment variable ICU_DATA. ENVIRONMENT
ICU_DATA Specifies the directory containing ICU data. Defaults to /usr/share/icu/50.1.2/. Some tools in ICU depend on the presence of the trailing slash. It is thus important to make sure that it is present if ICU_DATA is set. FILES
The following files are read by gensprep and are looked for in the source /misc for rfc3454_*.txt files and in source /unidata for Normal- izationCorrections.txt. rfc3453_A_1.txt Contains the list of unassigned codepoints in Unicode version 3.2.0.... rfc3454_B_1.txt Contains the list of code points that are commonly mapped to nothing.... rfc3454_B_2.txt Contains the list of mappings for casefolding of code points when Normalization form NFKC is specified.... rfc3454_C_X.txt Contains the list of code points that are prohibited for IDNA. NormalizationCorrections.txt Contains the list of code points whose normalization has changed since Unicode Version 3.2.0. VERSION
50.1.2 COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 IBM, Inc. and others. SEE ALSO
pkgdata(8) ICU MANPAGE
18 March 2003 gensprep(8)