Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting line break if string exceeds 100chars Post 302491250 by pravin27 on Thursday 27th of January 2011 04:39:30 AM
Old 01-27-2011
Code:
awk 
-v yr=`date '+%Y'` # Sets the variable yr to the value current year before execution of the program begins
'BEGIN {
m["Jan"]="01"
m["Feb"]="02"
m["Mar"]="03"
m["Apr"]="04"
m["May"]="05"
m["Jun"]="06"
m["Jul"]="07"
m["Aug"]="08"
m["Sep"]="09"
m["Oct"]="10"
m["Nov"]="11"
m["Dec"]="12"
}              #the BEGIN block is evaluated before awk starts processing the input file, We initialize array "m" with index as month and value as month's number 
{	dt=m[$1]"/"$2"/"yr FS $3; # here $1 = Jan,$2= 26 and $3=12:40:56 as per your input file, store date as per your formate into varibale dt. 
	printf dt FS;  # print date and FS (filed seperator)
	l=18; # here l=18 , length of date and time which we alerady printed.
	for(i=4;i<=NF;i++) # start for loop from field 4
	{
		l+=length($i)+1; # adding length of field and 1 for field seperator
		if(l>100 && flg == 1) # if this condition is true means we already print 100 char.
		{flg=0;l=18;printf RS dt FS $i FS} # reset the flag and length variable and print date time and field on new line 
	else {flg=1;printf $i FS } # condition is false then print field on same line
	} 
printf "\n"}' inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert line break + string in vi (search & replace )

Hello all i have big test file that has allot of structure text something like this : <foo1 *.html> <blah action> somthing 1 somthing 2 </blah> </foo1 > now i will like to insert 2 more lines of text below the <blah action> so it will be like : <foo1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break down a string

I am wondering how can I take a variable that may have multiple items of data and to use each one indenpendently. For example lets say that.... data=/lcl/apps/trm, /lcl/apps/wwe, /prd/sse/qwe, /lcl/ppe/eer Now I would like to be able to process each item found within the data string. As... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

break the string and print it in a new line after a specific word

Hi Gurus I am new to this forum.. I am using HP Unix OS. I have one single string in input file as shown below Abc123 | cde | fgh | ghik| lmno | Abc456 |one |two |three | four | Abc789 | five | Six | seven | eight | Abc098 | ........ I want to achive the result in a output file as shown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take a string and break each letter into a separate variable

I am trying to make a script that takes a word and each letter up and turns it into a separate variable. My code currently does not work but I feel I just need to tweak one thing that I am unsure of. (ex: if forum was typed in letter1=f; letter2=o; letter3=r;...) Thank you count=1; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a break page after certain string using SED

Hi: I have 2 files: teststring.txt and a tempfile.txt teststring file contains: s/Primary Ins./\n1/g I'm trying to search for "Primary Ins." string in tempfile. For every "Primary Ins." string that is found, a new line is inserted and put in number 1. Then, write out the newfile... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add a string to a file without line break

I searched and found "echo -n" and "printf" are solution for this, but they are not here: $ echo "hello" >> test $ cat test hello $ echo -n "world" >> test $ cat test hello world $ echo -n " seriously?" >> test $ cat test hello world seriously? This is not successful... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to break the line to the one above?

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make the below file1 look like file2, can anyone help? Basically I just hit backspace on every line that starts with a number. Thanks! file1: THIS#IS-IT1 4 THIS#IS-IT2 3 THIS#IS-IT3 2 THIS#IS-IT4 1 Result > file2: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a string across line break (because of "segmentation fault core dumped")

Hi, thanks to a precedent post, and thanks to the reply of derekludwig of the forum, I have convert my first awk command as : test.txt is : AAAAAGHIJKLAjKMEFJKLjklABCDJkLEFGHIJKL awk -f findstring.awk test.txt > textreturn.txtfindstring.awk is : BEGIN{ SLENGTH = 3 } { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thewizarde6
3 Replies
strclean(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      strclean(1M)

NAME
strclean - STREAMS error logger cleanup program SYNOPSIS
strclean [-a age] [-d logdir] DESCRIPTION
strclean is used to clean up the STREAMS error logger directory on a regular basis (for example, by using cron. By default, all files with names matching error.* in /var/adm/streams that have not been modified in the last three days are removed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -aage The maximum age in days for a log file can be changed using the -a option. -dlogdir A directory other than /var/adm/streams can be specified using the -d option. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample of using the strclean command. This example has the same result as running strclean with no arguments: example% strclean -d /var/adm/streams -a 3 FILES
/var/adm/streams/error.* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cron(1M), strerr(1M), attributes(5) STREAMS Programming Guide NOTES
strclean is typically run from cron on a daily or weekly basis. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 strclean(1M)