Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 6.1: Releasing Memory and Page Space Post 302491164 by zxmaus on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 08:36:17 PM
Old 01-26-2011
Hi,

let's start in the beginning - if you use paging space at all - you do not have enough memory.
Without knowing your box and what is running on it and what is normal and what is not there is no way to tell you what to do and what not to do.

So tell us something about your box. Post a vmstat -Iwt 2 10 output from a busy time (when you are filling up your pagingspace) and from a 'normal' time - so when your perl jobs do not run.

Show us an lsps -a output from a few min before your perl job is kicking in - so we know what is normal.

Show us a vmstat -s output.

There are many ways to clean up paging space if we need to - but since AIX is doing this on its own over time, you should never be in the situation of 'overflowing' memory and paging space in first instance when you do have enough memory in first instance - this will only happen when you are generally filling it up - what we do not know so far.

There are DB settings, filesystem mount options, system environment variables and finally system tunables that can help you - again we would need to know what else is on the box.

What might help you as well is to split your paging space - IBM doesnt recommend having paging spaces bigger 34 GB and it might help you with your issues of not enough buffers for pagingspaces and as well performance to split your paging area across multiple disks ...

Regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Removing page space

I having problem removing a page space.... 1. When I list the page spaces available in the system, I am getting the following messages 0516-310 : Unable to find attribute state in the Device Configuration Database. Execute synclvodm to attempt to correct the database.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srnkumar
4 Replies

2. AIX

TUNING: memory page sizes

This is post number 3 in a series of unanswered "TUNING" questions. :D With AIX 5.3 TL4, the page size can vary from the original "4k". They can now be "64k" and a couple other sizes. They also do not have to all be the same. Some can remain "4k" while others are "64k" which is what seems to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

3. Linux

ext3 file system not releasing space

Hi all i am facing a problem with ext3 file system df -h is showing 19gb is used even if there is not a single file on the mount point /dev/mapper/vg01-archive 55G 19G 33G 36% /archive_log OS == Linux cdrsvr 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajays
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Releasing the swap space Solaris

Hi Guys ! I have found this problem many times that the swap space (/tmp space more precisely )of my Server becomes full specially when i run a complete back up of the server . once the /tmp space is full I am not able to run simple commands as i get error like : fork no space on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paarth
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Releasing the swap space Solaris

Hi Guys ! I have found this problem many times that the swap space (/tmp space more precisely )of my Server becomes full specially when i run a complete back up of the server . once the /tmp space is full I am not able to run simple commands as i get error like : fork no space on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paarth
4 Replies

7. AIX

Increase for the Page space

Guy's This is our page space , i want some information about page space and I want the good way to how to increase the page space and what's the recommended page space that need to be configured Page Space Physical Volume Volume Group Size %Used Active Auto Type Chksum hd6 hdisk0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page Fault + Memory

I am not sure where to post this so i will put it in the newbie section. I have set up a bog standard debain 6, LAMP environment in the cloud. The specs 1 core at 2GH 2.5gb Memory running Jommla, with about 1.6K visitors a day. I am using AppFirst (appfirst.com) to monitor the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waseem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Utilization swap and page scan

Hi, on AIX 6 , how to see : Memory Utilization Memory Page Scan Rate Swap Utilization Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX swap space, physical memory & cache

Hi, I am new to AIX, Can someone please help me how to know the swap space, total physical memory and system cache? We are using AIX 5.3. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
3 Replies
swapon(2)							System Calls Manual							 swapon(2)

NAME
swapon - Adds a swap device for interleaved paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon( char *path, int flags, int lowat, int hiwat ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the block special device to be made available. Specifies a flag. Only the MS_PREFER flag is currently supported, and it causes the specified path to be the preferred paging device. (Ignored on Tru64 UNIX.) Specifies the low water mark. (Ignored on Tru64 UNIX.) Specifies the high water mark. (Ignored on Tru64 UNIX.) DESCRIPTION
The swapon() function makes a block special device available to the system for allocation of paging and swapping space. (The operating system does not currently support paging and swapping to a normal file. All swapping and pages areas must be block special devices.) The calling process must have superuser privilege to call the swapon() function. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the swapon() function returns a value of 0 (zero). If an error has occurred, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the swapon() function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: A component of the path prefix is not a directory. The pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set, the device was not specified, the device configured by the path parameter was not configured into the system as a swap device, or the device does not allow paging. A component of a pathname exceeded NAME_MAX charac- ters, or an entire pathname exceeded PATH_MAX characters. The named device does not exist. Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. The caller does not have appropriate privilege. The device specified by the path parameter has already been made available for swapping. The major device number of the path parameter is out of range (this indicates no device driver exists for the associated hardware). An I/O error occurred while opening the swap device. The path parameter points outside the process' allocated address space. An attempt was made to activate a paging file on a read-only file system. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: swapon(8), config(8) delim off swapon(2)