Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Any Beos versions work on AMD64-type PCs? Post 302491091 by Varsel on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 05:08:25 PM
Old 01-26-2011
Any Beos versions work on AMD64-type PCs?

Preparing to get my first home PC via custom-build shop. It will have three hard disk drives...one to be used only for trial of various OSs. Was hoping to test out Haiku, but according to 'supported architectures' table at Wikipedia ("Comparison of open source operating systems"), it only works on x86/i386.IA-32, and x86SMP. I'm having AMD64 built...either AthlonII (x2,x3, or x4) or PhenomII (x2,x3, or x4), so seems Haiku is dead-end for me, but still hoping for BeOS. Will any other BeOS (BeOS R5, OpenBeOS, BlueOS, etc.) run on x86-64 PC?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BeOS download

Hi everyone, I'm new to this Unix forum.. Is BeOS free to download or where can i download it from?? I did find BeOS 5 Personal Edition but that runs under windows and i don't create any partition. I do run Windows XP pro and i like it alot. Does anyone know where i can get BeOS from that does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsantamassino
1 Replies

2. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

3. Linux Benchmarks

AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, Ram: 3.6 GB, Foxconn 7da-s and Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64

CPU/Speed: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor Ram: 3.6 GB Motherboard: Foxconn 7da-s Bus: Cache: Controller: Disk: Load: Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 Kernel ELF?: pgms: ============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migracho
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Grub rescue problem after installing ubuntu 10.04 amd64 after i386

Hi all, I have Windows XP dual boot with Ubuntu 8.10 on my system. I brought in a portable HDD on which I installed Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit. The grub boot loader was installed along with this and to boot windows, I've had to plug in the HDD (with lucid install) everytime. It had been working fine.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: morningSunshine
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Role Name for my type of work

Hi , I am planning for the interview . I am having one question here , I worked on unix and shellscripting for 2 years Done- Ø Coding and testing of Server Monitoring ShellScripts Ø Deployment on UNIX production environment I have written so many shellscripts for monitoring... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
5 Replies

6. Linux

Ubuntu 12.04.2 server amd64 on Virtualbox

Hello, I could not find the appropriate forum for my problem to boot Ubuntu 12.04.2 server amd64 on Oracle Virtualbox(4.3.0 BETA1) within Win 7, so I posted here to start. For some reason Ubuntu could not boot anymore, and I am looking any suggestion before I re-install it as I do not want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
0 Replies

7. Programming

Typedef does not work to name a type

Hello, This is related to the closed post in the forum for the installation of the same software called arachne, but with different error message: In file included from ueberal/MiniSuperizer.cc:5:0: ./random/GnuRandom.h:54:5: error: ‘_G_uint32_t’ does not name a type _G_uint32_t u; ^... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies
PERLBEOS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PERLBEOS(1)

NAME
README.beos - Perl version 5.8+ on BeOS DESCRIPTION
This file contains instructions how to build Perl under BeOS and lists known problems. BUILD AND INSTALL
Requirements I have built and tested Perl 5.8.6 and 5.9.1 under BeOS R5 x86 net server. I can't say anything with regard to PPC. Since Perl 5.8.0 had been released for BeOS BONE, I suspect, there is a good chance, that it still compiles on a BONE system. The only change I've made, that affects BONE systems is the recognition of whether it is a BONE system or not in "hints/beos.sh". Now network socket support should remain enabled on BONE systems. This might as well break the build, though. As more recent versions of autoconf require flock() support, I wrote a flock() emulation (flock_server) and released it on BeBits: http://www.bebits.com/app/4030 If you want to build a Perl with flock() support, you have to install this package first. Configure With flock() support: CFLAGS=-I/path/to/flock/server/headers ./configure.gnu --prefix=/boot/home/config Replace "/path/to/flock/server/headers" with the path to the directory containing the "flock.h" header. Without flock() support: ./configure.gnu --prefix=/boot/home/config Build With flock() support: make LDLOADLIBS="-lnet -lflock" Without flock() support: make LDLOADLIBS="-lnet" "-lnet" is needed on net server systems only and if the compiler doesn't add it automatically (Be's R5 gcc does, Oliver Tappe's gcc 2.95.3 does not). Install Install all perl files: make install Create a symlink for libperl: cd ~/config/lib; ln -s perl5/5.8.6/BePC-beos/CORE/libperl.so . Replace 5.8.6 with your respective version of Perl. KNOWN PROBLEMS
o Network socket support is disabled for BeOS R5 net server. I didn't dare yet to try enabling it and see what problems occur. o The LFS (large file support) tests ("t/op/lfs" and "xt/Fcntl/t/syslfs") are disabled as seeking beyond 2 GB is broken according to jhi@iki.fi who was the last one checking the BeOS port and updating this file before me. Haven't checked this myself. o The "t/io/fflush" test fails at #6. As far as I can tell, this is caused by a bug in the BeOS pipes implementation that occurs when starting other child processes. In the particular test case a "system("perl -e 0")" flushes the stdout pipe of another child process. o The "ext/POSIX/t/waitpid" test fails at #1. After all child processes are gone BeOS' waitpid(-1,...) returns 0 instead of -1 (as it should). No idea how to fix this. CONTACT
For BeOS specifics problems feel free to mail to: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@cs.tu-berlin.de> Last update: 2004-12-16 perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 PERLBEOS(1)