Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing a Shell Variable to awk Post 302491081 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 04:44:41 PM
Old 01-26-2011
to pass variables:
Code:
awk -v myvar="hi there" ' {print $1, myvar} ' inputfile

the -v can also be -v="$var" where $var is a shell variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing value to shell variable

dear all How to passing the parameters or results to outside of the AWK program? anyone can help awk '{print $1}' file1 > $a ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trynew
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing awk variable to the shell script

hi; i have a file containing lines like: 1|1069108123|96393669788|00963215755711|2|0|941||;serv:Pps6aSyria;first:0;bear i want to extract the second, third and fourth record of each line and store it in a file ";" seperated this is what i wrote while read line do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to awk while in a shell for loop

I am a newbie to awk and c programming, however am not a unix newbie. However, I do need help with a kshell script I am writing. It is almost complete, the last step is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is cat a text file that has usernames. Then, using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to awk

Hi, I'm new with this stuff, but I hope you can help me. This is what I'm trying to do: for id in $var; do awk '{if ($1 == $id) print $2}' merg_data.dat > neigh.tmp done I need that for every "id", awk search the first column of the file merg_data.dat which contains "id" and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matteo86
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variable to awk script

I want to pass a shell variable to awk script : # cat file PSAPSR3 3722000 91989.25 2 98 PSAPSR7 1562000 77000.1875 5 95 PSAPUNDO 92000 4087.5625 4 96 #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing values from awk to shell variable

I am writing a script where I need awk to test if two columns are the same and shell to do something if they are or are not. Here is the code I'm working with: @ test = 0 ... test = `awk '{if($1!=$2) print 1; else print 0}' time_test.tmp` #time_test.tmp holds two values separated by a space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malavin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variable to awk

Hello All, May i please why my shell variable is not getting passed into awk script. #!/bin/bash -vx i="1EB07C50" /bin/awk -v ID="$i" '/ID/ {match($0,/ID/);print substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH)}' /var/log/ScriptLogs/keys.13556.txt Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with passing variable

I have file called in in.txt contains with the below lines I want to display the lines between the value which I would be passing. one two three four five ten six seven eight Expected output if I have passed one and ten two three four five (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychbears
8 Replies
Template::Plugin::Dumper(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Template::Plugin::Dumper(3pm)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Dumper - Plugin interface to Data::Dumper SYNOPSIS
[% USE Dumper %] [% Dumper.dump(variable) %] [% Dumper.dump_html(variable) %] DESCRIPTION
This is a very simple Template Toolkit Plugin Interface to the Data::Dumper module. A "Dumper" object will be instantiated via the following directive: [% USE Dumper %] As a standard plugin, you can also specify its name in lower case: [% USE dumper %] The "Data::Dumper" "Pad", "Indent" and "Varname" options are supported as constructor arguments to affect the output generated. See Data::Dumper for further details. [% USE dumper(Indent=0, Pad="<br>") %] These options can also be specified in lower case. [% USE dumper(indent=0, pad="<br>") %] METHODS
There are two methods supported by the "Dumper" object. Each will output into the template the contents of the variables passed to the object method. dump() Generates a raw text dump of the data structure(s) passed [% USE Dumper %] [% Dumper.dump(myvar) %] [% Dumper.dump(myvar, yourvar) %] dump_html() Generates a dump of the data structures, as per dump(), but with the characters <, > and & converted to their equivalent HTML entities and newlines converted to <br>. [% USE Dumper %] [% Dumper.dump_html(myvar) %] AUTHOR
Simon Matthews <sam@tt2.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000 Simon Matthews. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin, Data::Dumper perl v5.14.2 2011-12-20 Template::Plugin::Dumper(3pm)