Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming multiple files, specifically changing their case Post 302490412 by jjzieve on Monday 24th of January 2011 06:40:58 PM
Old 01-24-2011
Question Renaming multiple files, specifically changing their case

Hey all,

I'm running a BASH shell and I was wondering if anyone knows a code to rename all the files in a directory. All I need to do is change the first character in the file from uppercase to lowercase and some of the files are already lowercase so they don't need to change.

-Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming multiple files

Hi to everyone!!. Here's my stupid question of the day. When I have to rename a file I use "mv filename newfilename". But what about renaming multiple files, for example if I want to add the prefix "old" to several image files (in fact it's what I wanted to do..). Thanks in advance.... :D (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Help! I was trying to rename multiple files. Like in DOS, i decided to use wildcards and now i am missing some files. Any ideas on how to recover them? Or find out where the files went? I had these 3 files resume1.log elecresume.log compresume.log The command I ran was mv *.log *.log.bak... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmayur
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Hi, I have several hundred files I need to rename, and I'm would rather not hit F2 for each file individually to rename them. Example of file: large1961.jpg What I need the file to be renamed as: 1961.jpg I don't know what type of command I can execute within a shell script that would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayell
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files by changing date order

I'm looking for a simple solution to rename a batch of files. All of the files in this directory start with a date in the format mm.dd.yy followed by a space and then additional descriptive text. Example: 01.21.10 742 P.xlsx 02.24.09 730 Smith.xlsx The information following the date can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kreisel
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have 34 file in a directory that all have different names, however, they do have 1 pattern in commmon. They all have "-10-11-2010" date format in the name. I want to replace the date in the file name with a supplied date or maybe even the system date. I am sure I will be using awk or sed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple files

Hello, I have multiple files that I want to change the names to. Let's say for example that I want to rename all the files in the left column to the names in the right column: What would be the easiest way to go about doing this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)