Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fedora reset root password
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Fedora reset root password Post 302490407 by citaylor on Monday 24th of January 2011 06:26:24 PM
Old 01-24-2011
Have you ever logged on successfully with root ?
It could be either the /etc/securetty file not allowing a root logon, or an entry in /etc/pam.d that only allows UID's >= 500 to logon. If it is the former, try:
Code:
mv /etc/securetty /etc/securetty.orig

and see if that makes a difference. If its the latter (cant remember whether Redhat and/or SuSE does this), try grepping for "uid" in the files in /etc/pam.d (probably either system-auth, or common-auth, or login, or gdm).
It should look something like:
Code:
auth requisite pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet

Change it to:
Code:
auth requisite pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 0 quiet

And try again...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to reset root password of old Unix System V

Hi all, This is first time I met unix in my life. I purchased old Scanning Elecron Microscope which came with 486/33MHz PC running Unix System V, ver. 3.6. The one simple user name/passw is known so I can boot and login. But can not shutdown! It asks root or su passw. I'm very sensitive not to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 82026
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not able to reset mysql root password

Hi, My root password for mysql has some problem as it dosent allow me to login.... all commands to reset it failed. so I removed mysql yum remove mysql and installed it by yum install mysql mysql-devel mysql-server and it installed fine I gave chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: viji19812001
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Reset lost superuser/root password in x86

I've come across this question during interview as Sys Adm. "How you reset lost root/superuser password on x86 system running solaris (8/9/10) which remotely located. (Not locally in front of you)" As much as I know, you must be physically in front of the server to reset the lost... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahru
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied when changing root password after reset

I have a Solaris 10 machine that I didn't know the root password to so I went into single user mode and removed the password from the shadow file and rebooted and I am able to login with no password now. But my problem is that when I try to change the root password from no password to something... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkone_d1_2000
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to reset the ldap root password?

How to change the ldap root password. I have generated the password by using "slappasswd " command, but In my root machine "/etc/ldap/sldap.d" file is not there. instead of the file sldap.d directory only is there. please help me...? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Reset AIX root password without shutting down the system

Hi All, I'm stuck in a severe problem here , Someone have changed the root password and he cannot remember it and there is no other user privileged user on the system , But I do have access to a non privileged user. On the top of the system an application which requires a theoretical ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
5 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris 8 reset root password from OSX

Hello, I have two old Solaris machines $ uname -a SunOS unknown 5.8 Generic_117350-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-e2 unfortunately, it has been so long ago that i have used these that the root password has left my head... i can log into one of the machine as a normal user, but am unable to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Norman Khine
4 Replies

8. Solaris

How to reset forgotten mysql root password?

Hi All, I just found one thread on this forum on this subject here: Forgot MYSQL password root | Unix Linux Forums | Web Development but unfortunately the issue was not resolved. I have the same problem with the same error message. The background is that I built a Solaris 11 x86 server... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux root Password Reset

Hi , I ve a question about the Linux system root password change. Which can be done using grub menu without inputting the old password.:confused: So If anybody can change the root password without any password and then how it is secure. Anybody can manipulate the other user using the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies
PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)						     Linux-PAM							 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)

NAME
pam_succeed_if - test account characteristics SYNOPSIS
pam_succeed_if.so [flag...] [condition...] DESCRIPTION
pam_succeed_if.so is designed to succeed or fail authentication based on characteristics of the account belonging to the user being authenticated. One use is to select whether to load other modules based on this test. The module should be given one or more conditions as module arguments, and authentication will succeed only if all of the conditions are met. OPTIONS
The following flags are supported: debug Turns on debugging messages sent to syslog. use_uid Evaluate conditions using the account of the user whose UID the application is running under instead of the user being authenticated. quiet Don't log failure or success to the system log. quiet_fail Don't log failure to the system log. quiet_success Don't log success to the system log. Conditions are three words: a field, a test, and a value to test for. Available fields are user, uid, gid, shell, home and service: field < number Field has a value numerically less than number. field <= number Field has a value numerically less than or equal to number. field eq number Field has a value numerically equal to number. field >= number Field has a value numerically greater than or equal to number. field > number Field has a value numerically greater than number. field ne number Field has a value numerically different from number. field = string Field exactly matches the given string. field != string Field does not match the given string. field =~ glob Field matches the given glob. field !~ glob Field does not match the given glob. field in item:item:... Field is contained in the list of items separated by colons. field notin item:item:... Field is not contained in the list of items separated by colons. user ingroup group User is in given group. user notingroup group User is not in given group. user innetgr netgroup (user,host) is in given netgroup. user notinnetgr group (user,host) is not in given netgroup. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
All module types (account, auth, password and session) are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The condition was true. PAM_AUTH_ERR The condition was false. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service error occurred or the arguments can't be parsed correctly. EXAMPLES
To emulate the behaviour of pam_wheel, except there is no fallback to group 0: auth required pam_succeed_if.so quiet user ingroup wheel Given that the type matches, only loads the othermodule rule if the UID is over 500. Adjust the number after default to skip several rules. type [default=1 success=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so quiet uid > 500 type required othermodule.so arguments... SEE ALSO
glob(7), pam(8) AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Linux-PAM 04/01/2010 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)