Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage? Post 302490302 by TECK on Monday 24th of January 2011 01:27:23 PM
Old 01-24-2011
Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could share some of your knowledge, in the event of a power outage.
Let presume you are on duty and you get a call at midnight because half of your cabinets have no power, air conditioning is down and you deal with a ton of 500 error messages on your boxes.

What would you do, in this situation? From my very small experience, I would do this:
Make sure all vital boxes with sensitive data get an UPS source hooked ASAP, so they can be shut gracefully. Once the power supply is restored, I would check each system for errors and restore corrupted data from backup, if any.

I would appreciate if you could give me an example how would you deal with this situation, in a more appropriate manner. My goal is to find out what would you do, before the power issues are solved. Thanks for sharing your experience.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sysadmins: your top 10 duties/responsibilities?

For you Unix sysadmins: what are you 10 most common duties/responsibilities as sysadmins and what would you suggest a newbie sysadmin do to learn them? For instance, say adding/deleting users is one of your most common duties. So a newbie would be wise to get familiar with useradd/userdel,... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatkins679
15 Replies

2. AIX

Administrator responsibilities

HELLOW ALL Can any one tell me what are the Requirements for any system administrator to be a system administrators (After taking all the courses for IBM or the the track that requires only during your job). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Booting up problem after power outage

hi guys, i'm new so don't bite too hard. having a problem booting up a V210 running sol9 on after a power outage... an init5 was done but not a init0 before the power cut... so now when booting up it gives the ff: SC Alert: Host System has Reset Probing system devices Probing memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lungsta
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Help me in responsibilities of solaris admin

Dear friends I have a doubt 4 months back i've completed my Solaris course now i'am searching for job on 2+ years experience please anyone tell me what are the common responsibilities of solaris admin means when i'll get a job what is the common daily work for me in office as a 2+ years... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
7 Replies

7. AIX

Role of sys admin during power outage in Data center

i am new to aix environment and all my servers are @ remote location just curious to know , what issues/tasks we will be facing when there is a power outage in a data centre, i heard outage's will be a challenging task for administrators.. any example of that sort will be a great help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rigin
2 Replies

8. AIX

System can't boot up after power outage

Hello Forum, I am very newbie with AIX. We have 2 AIX 9111-285 servers. The OS version is 5.3. After the power outage, they did not come up. I try to unplug the power cable and re-connect after 1 minutes but do not help. Both display the same reference code 110000AC on the front panel... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
6 Replies

9. AIX

Automatic Server bootup after power outage?

Hi everyone, We had a power outage few days ago, and I got the servers up and running but I was informed to look into, if there is a way to bring up the servers automatically/defaultly. I was told the windows admin has their server set up where the servers are up automatically if there is a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adnans2k
11 Replies
POWERD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 POWERD(8)

NAME
powerd - UPS monitoring daemon SYNOPSIS
/sbin/powerd [tty] DESCRIPTION
powerd monitors the serial port connected to an UPS device and will perform an unattended shutdown of the system if the UPS is on battery longer than a specified number of minutes. powerd needs to watch a tty with modem control properties. Please refer to the powerd documen- tation for further information. powerd also has the capabilities of notifying other clients on the network that may have a UPS but not be connected to the serial line that there is a power outage, and id configured through the powerd.conf file CONFIGURATION FILE
Here is the configuration format: Lines beginning with '#' are ignored. MODE <mode> specifies the mode the UPS should be in. Valid arguements are MONITOR and PEER MONITOR being the mode to actually watch a UPS serial port, and PEER being to listen for a connection from a machine in MONITOR mode MONITOR <device> Specifies which device to monitor while in MONITOR mode. Specify an actual device file. Example: /dev/ttyS0 POWERFAIL <line> <high|low> Specifies which lines on the serial ports indicate that the power is out. Valid arguements are DCD, CAR, CTS, and RNG. Also specify if the line being HIGH or LOW indicates a power failure. Since most people may not know this arguement, Please use the enclosed upsdetect program to automatically find this line. NOTIFY <hostname[:port]> <password> Specified in MONITOR mode to notify a client running in PEER mode. Specify the hostname of the machine, and optional port the daemon is running on, And the password as specified by their LISTEN command. See below for more details. LISTEN <hostname> <password> Specified in PEER mode, specifies a hostname that is allowed to notify us of when the power is out, and the password they shall give us to authenticate themselves. The 2 passwords should match on the MONITOR mode machines NOTIFY password, and the PEER modes LISTEN password. LISTENPORT <port> Specified in PEER mode, specifies the port that powerd should listen on. If you use this arguement, powerd shall not default to using port 532, and the machine in MONITOR mode must specify the port you use in their NOTIFY command. DELAY <delayinseconds> Specifies how many seconds before notifying init of a power outage. Note that this doesnt mean that the system will shut down in that many seconds, as it depends on how init is configured. Init usually issues a 2 min shutdown. USER <username> Specifies which username to drop to from root. The program will reobtain root access only when it needs to, Like when notifying init that the power is out. This is simply a security feature, and not needed for powerd to operate. Note: powerd must still be run ini- tially as root. It will then drop to the user if, and only if, a username is specified. ARGUMENTS
None: Please use the configuration file /etc/powerd.conf which can be generated with detectups. See detectups(8) for more information FILES
/etc/powerd.conf powerd configuration file /etc/powerstatus indicates line power status /etc/inittab init is what actually issues the shutdown SEE ALSO
powerd(8), shutdown(8), wall(1), init(8), inittab(5). AUTHOR
James Brents <James@nistix.com> (with parts of this man page borrowed from all over the Linux community) POWERD(8)