Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2 Post 302490044 by roussine on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 05:00:38 PM
Old 01-23-2011
Thanks for help: works fine!
Except in cases where a string is a substring of another one in file2 (eg, BACILLUS_Bacilli_ is a sub of LACTOBACILLUS_Bacilli_), in which cases there are leftovers after the deletion.
Is there a way to make awk find and delete only strings corresponding to entire lines in file2?

Last edited by roussine; 01-23-2011 at 06:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines from file2 beginning w/file1

I've been searching around here and other places, but can't put this together... I've got a unique list of words in file 1 (one word on each line). I need to delete each line in file2 that begins with the word in file1. I started this way, but want to know how to use file1 words instead... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing text in file1 with list from file2

I am trying to automate a process of searching through a set of files and replace all occurrences of a formatted text with the next item in the list of a second file. Basically i need to replace all instances of T????CLK???? with an IP address from a list in a second file. the second file is one IP... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovetail
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with duplicate strings based on date

Hey all, a relative bash/script newbie trying solve a problem. I've got a text file with lots of lines that I've been able to clean up and format with awk/sed/cut, but now I'd like to remove the lines with duplicate usernames based on time stamp. Here's what the data looks like 2007-11-03... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattv
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] delete line from file1 by reading from file2

Hi All, I have to arrange one of the text file by deleting specific lines. cat file1.txt 3595 3595 -0.00842773 -0.0085077 0.00368851 12815 12815 -0.00929239 0.00439785 0.0291697 3747 3747 -0.00974353 0.00228922 0.0225058 3574 3574 -0.00711399 -0.00315748 0.0141206 .... 12734... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match part of string in file2 based on column in file1

I have a file containing texts and indexes. I need the text between (and including ) INDEX and number "1" alone in line. I have managed this: awk '/INDEX/,/1$/{if (!/1$/)print}' file1.txt It works for all indexes. And then I have second file with years and indexes per year, one per line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoebus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print sequences from file2 based on match to, AND in same order as, file1

I have a list of IDs in file1 and a list of sequences in file2. I can print sequences from file2, but I'm asking for help in printing the sequences in the same order as the IDs appear in file1. file1: EN_comp12952_c0_seq3:367-1668 ES_comp17168_c1_seq6:1-864 EN_comp13395_c3_seq14:231-1088... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete rows based on array of strings

Hi All, I have a file with around 1000 rows and one of the fields is an account number. I have been provided with a few account numbers, when any of the account number appears in a row then the row has to be deleted. Can we place the account numbers in an array and use awk or sed for this task?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrcool4
3 Replies
mdbFontset(5)							 The m17n Library						     mdbFontset(5)

NAME
mdbFontset - Fontset DESCRIPTION
The m17n library loads a fontset definition from the m17n database by the tags <fontset, FONTSET-NAME>. The plist format of the data is as follows: FONTSET ::= PER-SCRIPT * PER-CHARSET * FALLBACK * PER-SCRIPT ::= '(' SCRIPT PER-LANGUAGE + ')' PER-LANGUAGE ::= '(' LANGUAGE FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT + ')' PER-CHARSET ::= '(' CHARSET FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT + ')' FALLBACK ::= FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT ::= '(' FONT-SPEC [ FLT-NAME ] ')' FONT-SPEC ::= '(' [ FOUNDRY FAMILY [ WEIGHT [ STYLE [ STRETCH [ ADSTYLE ]]]]] REGISTRY [ OTF-SPEC ] [ LANG-SPEC ] ')' SCRIPT is a symbol of script name (e.g. latin, han) or nil. LANGUAGE is a two-letter symbol of language name code defined by ISO 639 (e.g. ja, zh) or nil. FONT-SPEC is to specify properties of a font. FOUNDRY to REGISTRY are symbols corresponding to Mfoundry to Mregistry property of a font. See m17nFont for the meaning of each property. OTF-SPEC is a symbol specifyng the required OTF features. The symbol name has the following syntax. OTF-SPEC-NAME ::= ':otf=' SCRIPT LANGSYS ? GSUB-FEATURES ? GPOS-FEATURES ? SCRIPT ::= SYMBOL LANGSYS ::= '/' SYMBOL GSUB-FEATURES ::= '=' FEATURE-LIST ? GPOS-FEATURES ::= '+' FEATURE-LIST ? FEATURE-LIST ::= '~' ? FEATURE ( ',' '~' ? FEATURE ',' ) Here, FEATURE is a four-letter Open Type feature. LANG-SPEC is a symbol specifying the required language support. The symbol name has the following syntax. LANG-SPEC-NAME ::= ':lang=' LANG Here, LANG is a two or three-letter ISO-639 language code. FLT-NAME is a name of Font Layout Table (Font Layout Table). EXAMPLE
This is an example of PER_SCRIPT. (han (ja ((jisx0208.1983-0))) (zh ((gb2312.1980-0))) (nil ((big5-0)))) It instructs the font selector to use a font of registry 'jisx0208.1983-0' for a 'han' character (i.e. a character whose Mscript property is 'han') if the character has Mlanguage text property 'ja' in an M-text and the character is in the repertories of such fonts. Otherwise, try a font of registry 'gb2312.1980-0' or 'big5-0'. If that 'han' character does not have Mlanguage text property, try all three fonts. See the function mdraw_text() for the detail of how a font is selected. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mdbFontset(5)