Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with parsing mailbox folder list (identify similar folders) Post 302490038 by methyl on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 03:54:28 PM
Old 01-23-2011
One way of finding all the problem directories:

We first create a list of all relevant directories.
Then extract all case-significant duplicates and re-search the original list for case-insignificant matches.
Reasonably efficient approach for large numbers of directories and a moderate numbers of case-significant duplicates.

Code:
find /parent_directory/ -follow -type d -print | sort >/tmp/myworkfile1
cat /tmp/myworkfile1 | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | sort | uniq -d >/tmp/myworkfile2
cat /tmp/myworkfile2 | while read dir
do
        grep -ix "${dir}" /tmp/myworkfile1
done
rm -f /tmp/myworkfile1
rm -f /tmp/myworkfile2

Footnote:
It always helps to know what Operating System and version you have and what Shell you prefer.
The code posted should work with most versions of unix or Linux with Bourne-like Shell (sh, bash, ksh etc.).

For the benefit of the "UUOC" police, I prefer left-to-right processing and have yet to find anything faster than "cat" for placing text records on a pipeline.

Last edited by methyl; 01-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Layout
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing file names and then grouping similar files

Hello Friends, I have .tar files which exists under different directories after the below code is run: find . -name "*" -type f -print | grep .tar > tmp.txt cat tmp.txt ./dir1/subdir1/subdir2/database-db1_28112009.tar ./dir2/subdir3/database-db2_28112009.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

IMAPSYNC - trouble to create mailbox folder structure

Hi, I have installed ImapSync on Linux Debian. I tried run command to copy from Server A to Server B. It's run but imapsync doesn't create mailbox folder structure. I don't know if there is a command to force creation of mailbox's folders and subfolder. My command is below imapsync --host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: symonx80
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files with similar names to folder

I have in directory /media/AUDIO/WAVE many .mp3 files with names like: my filename_01of02.mp3 my filename_02of02.mp3 Your File_01of06.mp3 Your File_02of06.mp3 etc.... In the same directory, /media/AUDIO/WAVE, I have many folders with names like 9780743579490 9780743579491 etc.. Inside... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Identify if folder has a file in it

Hi everyone I am new to the forums. I haven't done much linux myself but I have been asked if I can do the following. Write a linux script that needs to scan a certain folder every x amount of minutes and if there is a file in the folder then it needs to call a different script. Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bosbaba
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Issue: Unzipping file containing files/folders with a similar name

Hi, I have a zip file created on a Linxux server that I need to extract on a Windows machine... The zip file containing folders with the same name but they each have a different case, one if camel case and the other is just capitalised. When I extract using 7zip, I get prompted if I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mv series out of mixed folder & identify substring

Dear unix-Community, great to be here! Actually i try to build a script to sort out my serials into an series-folder. Reason is: plex cant handle mixed folder filled with other stuff than series only. First shot was ls in combination with grep and regex. Got no positiv result. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zack
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Identify the folder is part of which mount point

Dear, I am using Redhat 6.6 . How to identify a given directory is part of which mount point. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
2 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Why Parsing Can't be Done With sed ( or similar tools)

Regularly we have questions like: i have an XML (C, C++, ...) file with this or that property and i want to extract the content of this or that tag (function, ...). How do i do it in sed? Yes, in some (very limited) cases this is possible, but in general this can't be done. That is: you can do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)