Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to fix file with more delimiters Post 302490032 by ken002 on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 02:47:36 PM
Old 01-23-2011
How to fix file with more delimiters

Hi, gunius
I have a post as following
Quote:
I have a problem about one file. my source file as following:
123, accounting, university street, 23456
124, financing, center street, b suit, 23457
125, information, college street, 23458
above file, 'center street, b suit' should be one field, my file contains more than 50 columns.
target should be
123, accounting, university street, 23456
124, financing, center street b suit, 23457
125, information, college street, 23458
I use one of posted code resolved. code following.
Code:
awk -F\, 'NF==5{$3=$3""$4;$4="";sub(/,,/,",")}1' OFS="," infile

I got new problem,
my file contains some null column,
Quote:
eg. 126,,shepperd street, 203#, 23459
target should be
Code:
126,,shepperd street 203#, 23459

using current code, I got
Code:
126,shepperd street 203#,, 23459

Can anybody give me help. Smilie

Thanks in Advance
ken002

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I insert commas/delimiters in File

Hi, Newbie here. Need to convert a txt file to .csv format. There's no character to replace so not sure if I can use sed :confused: . The comma is to be inserted after every certain number of characters in each line... Help! Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbelen
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of delimiters in a file name

I have a list of files with names as "FULL_abcd_xyz_timestamp.txt" and "FULL_xx_abcd_xyz_timestamp.txt". I am writing a script with a 'for loop' to take each file, strip the "FULL" and "timestamp" from the file name and do some actions on the contains of the file. So I need to know the number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayanbiswas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing unnecessary Delimiters from a file

Hi all, I have a pipe delimited file - (sample data) 1|1|K|Doe|1234567890|123456789|EXP|99|99|John|Y|Dallas|Texas|Kyle|999 2|1|A|2|01/01/9999|Appl|01/01/9999|vendor|Select|||||| 3|1|A|2|01/01/9999|Check|01/01/9999|ksmith|Suggest|||||| 4|1|T|Complaint|Mary|01/01/9999|01/01/9999|||||||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a file with multiple delimiters into columns

Hi All I have recently had to start using Unix for work and I have hit brick wall with this prob.... I have a file that goes a little something like this.... EUR;EUR;EUR:USD:USD;USD;;;EUR/USD;XAU/AUD;XAU/EUR;XAU/AUD,GBP/BOB,UAD/XAU;;;1.11;2.22;3.33;4.44;5.55;6.66;;; is it possible to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
7 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings within XML file between different delimiters

Good afternoon! I have an XML file from which I want to extract only certain elements contained within each line. The problem is that the format of each line is not exactly the same (though similiar). For example, oa_var will be in each line, however, there may be no value or other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab@faa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put delimiters in text files after fix characters?

Hi , i have a text file in which i want to put delimiters after certain characters ( fix),. like put a delimiter (any like ,) after 1-3 character than 4 than 5 than 6-17 ..... files looks like this (original)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamdev
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert data between comma delimiters-large file

Having a huge file in the following format. 2,3,1,,,4 1,2,3,,,,,5, 8,7,3,4,,,, Output needed is: 2,3,1,0.0,0.0,4 1,2,3,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,5, 8,7,3,4,0.0,0.0,0.0, I have tried reading the file each line, using AWK to parse to find out ",," and then insert 0.0 . It works but very slow. Need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Char/byte positions of delimiters in file

I have a pipe delimited file and I'm trying to write a script that will give the character/byte positions of each pipe in the file. There may be some simple way but I don't know what it is... Can someone help with this? Ex: file has output below abc|def|ghi| I want the script to tell the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: basz808
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting fields from a file having multiple delimiters

Hi All, I have a file with a single row having the following text ABC.ABC.ABC,Database,New123,DBNAME,F,ABC.ABC.ABC_APP,"@FUNCTION1("ENT1") ,@FUNCTION2("ENT2")",R, I want an output in the following format ABC.ABC.ABC DBNAME ABC.ABC.ABC_APP '@FUNCTION1("ENT1")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
YAZ_ITEMORDER(3)							 1							  YAZ_ITEMORDER(3)

yaz_itemorder - Prepares for Z39.50 Item Order with an ILL-Request package

SYNOPSIS
void yaz_itemorder (resource $id, array $args) DESCRIPTION
This function prepares for an Extended Services request using the Profile for the Use of Z39.50 Item Order Extended Service to Transport ILL (Profile/1). See this and the specification. PARAMETERS
o $id - The connection resource returned by yaz_connect(3). o $args - Must be an associative array with information about the Item Order request to be sent. The key of the hash is the name of the corresponding ASN.1 tag path. For example, the ISBN below the Item-ID has the key item-id,ISBN. The ILL-Request parameters are: transaction-id,initial-requester-id,person-or-institution-symbol,person transaction-id,initial-requester-id,person-or-institution- symbol,institution transaction-id,initial-requester-id,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-person transaction-id,initial- requester-id,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-institution transaction-id,transaction-group-qualifier transaction-id,transac- tion-qualifier transaction-id,sub-transaction-qualifier service-date-time,this,date service-date-time,this,time service-date- time,original,date service-date-time,original,time requester-id,person-or-institution-symbol,person requester-id,person-or-institu- tion-symbol,institution requester-id,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-person requester-id,name-of-person-or-institution,name- of-institution responder-id,person-or-institution-symbol,person responder-id,person-or-institution-symbol,institution responder- id,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-person responder-id,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-institution transaction-type delivery-address,postal-address,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-person delivery-address,postal-address,name-of-person-or- institution,name-of-institution delivery-address,postal-address,extended-postal-delivery-address delivery-address,postal- address,street-and-number delivery-address,postal-address,post-office-box delivery-address,postal-address,city delivery- address,postal-address,region delivery-address,postal-address,country delivery-address,postal-address,postal-code delivery- address,electronic-address,telecom-service-identifier delivery-address,electronic-address,telecom-service-addreess billing- address,postal-address,name-of-person-or-institution,name-of-person billing-address,postal-address,name-of-person-or-institu- tion,name-of-institution billing-address,postal-address,extended-postal-delivery-address billing-address,postal-address,street-and- number billing-address,postal-address,post-office-box billing-address,postal-address,city billing-address,postal-address,region billing-address,postal-address,country billing-address,postal-address,postal-code billing-address,electronic-address,telecom-ser- vice-identifier billing-address,electronic-address,telecom-service-addreess ill-service-type requester-optional-messages,can-send- RECEIVED requester-optional-messages,can-send-RETURNED requester-optional-messages,requester-SHIPPED requester-optional-mes- sages,requester-CHECKED-IN search-type,level-of-service search-type,need-before-date search-type,expiry-date search-type,expiry-flag place-on-hold client-id,client-name client-id,client-status client-id,client-identifier item-id,item-type item-id,call-number item- id,author item-id,title item-id,sub-title item-id,sponsoring-body item-id,place-of-publication item-id,publisher item-id,series- title-number item-id,volume-issue item-id,edition item-id,publication-date item-id,publication-date-of-component item-id,author-of- article item-id,title-of-article item-id,pagination item-id,ISBN item-id,ISSN item-id,additional-no-letters item-id,verification- reference-source copyright-complicance retry-flag forward-flag requester-note forward-note user-id contact-name contact-phone contact-email itemorder-item RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. PHP Documentation Group YAZ_ITEMORDER(3)