Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split single rows to multiple rows .. Post 302489995 by sri_aue on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 08:03:02 AM
Old 01-23-2011
echo $line | tr '|' '\n' >> $2

Hi I am already using this in my code. My problem is get the same spaces as in the input file.

please replace the <6spaces> with spaces when trying the code and let me know the solution ,..

Waiting for ur response

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

i have single column which is starting with same string(many number of rows) i have to convert each into a single row.how can i do that? laknar std mes 23 55 laknar isd phone no address amount 99 I have to convert above like below. laknar|std|mes|23|55 laknar|isd|phone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single column into multiple rows

Hi all, I need to convert this file having just one column into two column file current file: a 15 b 21 c 34 d 48 e 10 wanted: a 15 b 21 c 34 (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Multiple rows to Single Row using unix commands

Can somebody help me in solving this.. Input data is like 0 A 1 B 2 C 3 D 0 A1 1 B1 2 C1 3 D1 0 A2 1 B2 2 C2 3 D2 Output should be like A B C D A1 B1 C1 D1 A2 B2 C2 D2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahantesh Patil
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge multiple rows into single row if first column matches ?

Hi, Can anyone suggest quick way to get desired output? Sample input file content: A 12 9 A -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 C -111 900 C 99 0.09 Output required: A 12 9 -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 -111 900 99 0.09 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbm_000
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] splitting a single column(with spaces) into multiple rows

Hi All, My requisite is to split a single column of phonemes seperated by spaces into multiple rows. my input file is: a dh u th a qn ch A v U r k my o/p should be like: adhu a dh u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girlofgenuine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multiple rows (with a mix of space and enter) to a single column

How to change the uploaded weekly file data to the following format? New Well_Id,Old Well_Id,District,Thana,Date,Data,R.L,WellType,Lati.,Longi. BAG001,PT006,BARGUNA,AMTALI,1/2/1978,1.81,2.29,Piezometer,220825,901430 BAG001,PT006,BARGUNA,AMTALI,1/9/1978,1.87,2.29,Piezometer,220825,901430... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sara.nowreen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert single column into multiple rows

Convert Single column to multiple rows file a.txt contains data like below Server=abc Run=1 Tables=10 Sessions=16 Time=380 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=2 Tables=15 Sessions=16 Time=400 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=3 Tables=20 Sessions=16 Time=450 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a single row to multiple rows

Hi, I want to convert a single row values to multiple rows, but the no. of rows are not fixed. For example, I have a row as below abc-def-lmn-mno-xyz out put should be get abc get def get lmn get xyz (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneel Mekala
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

Hi .. anyone can you help me ? i need to convert text below into multiple columns interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0 description; TRUNK_PE-D2-JT2-VPN_Gi0/0/0/0_TO_ME4-A-JKT-JT_4/1/1_1G mtu 9212 negotiation auto interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0.11 description; tes encapsulation;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad3linux
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to split one long column into multiple rows with 3 each ?

I have a large csv dataset like this : A value1 A value2 A value3 B value1 B value2 B value3 C value1 C value2 C value3 what I expected output is :A value1 value2 value3 B value1 value2 value3 C value1 value2 value3 I'm thinking of use like awk, columns , but haven't find a proper... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
4 Replies
SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)							 1							 SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)

substr_replace - Replace text within a portion of a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed substr_replace (mixed $string, mixed $replacement, mixed $start, [mixed $length]) DESCRIPTION
substr_replace(3) replaces a copy of $string delimited by the $start and (optionally) $length parameters with the string given in $replace- ment. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. An array of strings can be provided, in which case the replacements will occur on each string in turn. In this case, the $replacement, $start and $length parameters may be provided either as scalar values to be applied to each input string in turn, or as arrays, in which case the corresponding array element will be used for each input string. o $replacement - The replacement string. o $start - If $start is positive, the replacing will begin at the $start'th offset into $string. If $start is negative, the replacing will begin at the $start'th character from the end of $string. o $length - If given and is positive, it represents the length of the portion of $string which is to be replaced. If it is negative, it rep- resents the number of characters from the end of $string at which to stop replacing. If it is not given, then it will default to strlen( $string ); i.e. end the replacing at the end of $string. Of course, if $length is zero then this function will have the effect of inserting $replacement into $string at the given $start offset. RETURN VALUES
The result string is returned. If $string is an array then array is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple substr_replace(3) examples <?php $var = 'ABCDEFGH:/MNRPQR/'; echo "Original: $var<hr /> "; /* These two examples replace all of $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, strlen($var)) . "<br /> "; /* Insert 'bob' right at the beginning of $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, 0) . "<br /> "; /* These next two replace 'MNRPQR' in $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', -7, -1) . "<br /> "; /* Delete 'MNRPQR' from $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, '', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; ?> Example #2 Using substr_replace(3) to replace multiple strings at once <?php $input = array('A: XXX', 'B: XXX', 'C: XXX'); // A simple case: replace XXX in each string with YYY. echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, 'YYY', 3, 3))." "; // A more complicated case where each replacement is different. $replace = array('AAA', 'BBB', 'CCC'); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, 3))." "; // Replace a different number of characters each time. $length = array(1, 2, 3); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, $length))." "; ?> The above example will output: A: YYY; B: YYY; C: YYY A: AAA; B: BBB; C: CCC A: AAAXX; B: BBBX; C: CCC NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. SEE ALSO
str_replace(3), substr(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)