Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting information from various files Post 302489969 by pravin27 on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 04:11:48 AM
Old 01-23-2011
Use -H option with grep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Need to store information relating to certain files

I need to save information relating to certain files that are projected to deleted. I am using find $defPath/archive/sub/subchild -type f -mtime +365 > LOGFILE cat LOGFILE| while read line do ls -l $line | cut -d" " -f 10-15 done But, since cut is cutting columns on space (single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu_indian
3 Replies

2. Solaris

To get the hidden files information only

Hi all, I want to get only hidden files(which are start with '.' or '..') information in a current directory. I tried the below command, $ find . -name "^." -exec ls -la '{}' \; but it's not working. Can anyone give me your outputs. Thanks in advance, Raghu. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prepending information from filenames into files

I would like to know how to take information from a filename and place it into the text of the same file. Let's say I have a file called height_2_width_1.txt containing data that is related to a height of 2 and a width of 1, and the text originally looks like this: where these two columns... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and add new information

Hi, I want to compare two fields in two different files and add a corresponding field in a third output file. Something similar to vlookup. Please see the attached input files and the example output file. I want to compare each entry in column 1 in file1 with column 5 in file2. If both the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chabook
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining information from Excel files

Hi, I am looking for an AWK or grep script (join will not work here since the data is not sorted) to combine two Excel files that look lke this: Infile1: Georgia Atlanta 1234 1234 Georgia Marrieta 2134 2134 Georgia Scottdale 3414 3414 Georgia Clarkston 2321 2321 Infile2: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy files with only certain information

I need to copy a list of files in directory and only files with content DUMMY_B should be copy over to a new directory. How can i do that ? Thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyssa
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updated files information

I am using the below script to remove the rows which contains null values in the 3rd column.My requirement here is want to get the filenames which row is removed .please help me. #!/usr/bin/sh Scripts=/ushhquest/data001/Scripts cd /ushhquest/data011/TgtFiles/MonthlyData ls CUSTADDR*.txt >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search information in multiple files and save in new files

hi everyone, im stuck in here with shell :) can you help me?? i have a directory with alot files (genbank files ... all ended in .gbk ) more than 1000 for sure ... and i want to read each one of them and search for some information and if i found the right one i save in new file with new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreia
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Combine information from 2 files

Hi there, I‘m a newbie in linux (ubuntu) working with several files, some of them containing hundred thousands of lines. I started to extract information out of 2 files, combining them by 1 column: I need a Vlookup-like command that reads sampleID (column 2)(line 2,..line by line) in file 1, looks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nika
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Matching information from different files

I have a dataset with coordinates of certain points with their names. file1: AAA 5 7 BBB 7 2 CCC 4 4 DDD 4 4 EEE 8 9 FFF 9 9 GGG 4 9 HHH 32 1 III 7 6 JJJ 12 4 KKK 12 3 MMM 15 3The letters represent names of points. In file1 they are unique. I also have file2 with a dataset with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maya3
2 Replies
GZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GZGREP(1)

NAME
gzgrep, gzegrep, gzfgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
gzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
gzgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If gzgrep is invoked as gzegrep or gzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, gzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep gzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; gzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzmore(1), gznew(1), gzforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZGREP(1)