Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How Do I find out SNMP Version? Post 302489756 by SkySmart on Friday 21st of January 2011 01:40:54 PM
Old 01-21-2011
How Do I find out SNMP Version?

Can someone please tell me how I can find out what version of SNMP I have running on any linux and solaris server?

i would think this was an easy thing to find. but google wasn't able to turn up anything on this.

snmp -v should do the trick but it doesn't.

thank you guys

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Find the OS version Installed

Hi, I wanted to know how can I get the version of underlying HP-OS installed on a HPUX workstation. The output required is "June 2001" version or "March 2003" version etc whatever OS is present. Thanx in advance for your help. Regards, Pankaj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankschawla
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find RedHat version.

How can I find out with a C program, on which RedHat version the program is being ran ? I do know through compilation variables that I'm on RedHat but so far cannot find out which one. Currently the closest I got was to invoke an ls or cat through syscall for the release or motd files. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirvosko
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to check the running snmp version in Rhel?

Hi, Please help me to understand how to check which snmp vesion(1, 2, 3) is configured on my rhel5 server. Regards, Aravind :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl Net::SNMP version getting info from cisco switch

I am having trouble working with SNMP module with perl. I am trying to get SNMP version of target system. I use following code to get it however it resturns error as "Argument "v6.0.1" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at ./chk_env_upd.pl line 447." Get load table my $resultat =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dynamax
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Sending data from DELL OMSA SNMP and Custom SNMP MIB to same UDP port 161

Hi , Currently DELL OMSA SNMP sends data through default udp port 161.I want my custom SNMP MIB also to send data in the same udp port 161.Whether its possible.If yes where to configure .I tried starting my custom MIB in udp port 161,but it throws port already in use.Kindly guide. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabakar4all
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sending data from DELL OMSA SNMP and Custom SNMP MIB to same UDP port 161

Hi , Currently DELL OMSA SNMP sends data through default udp port 161.I want my custom SNMP MIB also to send data in the same udp port 161.Whether its possible.If yes where to configure .I tried starting my custom MIB in udp port 161,but it throws port already in use.Kindly guide. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prabakar4all
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Error occurred while making the net-snmp 5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version.

Hi all, Error occurred while making the net-snmp-5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version. Environment - Solaris 5.10-x86 - Net-SNMP-5.4.4.tar.gz - Path (/etc/profile) PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATHUSR=/usr/ccs/bin: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH Error01 - summary ***... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziosnim
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to transfer all kernel logs (var/log/messages) to the snmp listener as snmp trap

i am working with embedded system -Dell DCS management sub system. my question is as below: currently we are using linux kernel 2.6.30 build and we have a kernel logs stored to the /var/log/messages path. now we have to transfer all this logs to the specified SNMP target as a part of SNMP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipul_prajapati
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Disable or remove SNMPv1/2c authentication and SNMP version-3

Hi; How can I disable or remove SNMPv1/2c authentication. I would like to use SNMP version 3 authentication. bash-3.00# uname -a SunOS SOL9229 5.10 Generic_142910-17 i86pc i386 i86pc bash-3.00# (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies
MRTG-FAQ(1)							       mrtg							       MRTG-FAQ(1)

NAME
mrtg-faq - How to get help if you have problems with MRTG SYNOPSIS
MRTG seems to raise a lot of questions. There are a number of resources apart from the documentation where you can find help for mrtg. FAQ
In the following sections you'll find some additonal Frequently Asked Questions, with Answers. Why is there no "@#$%" (my native language) version of MRTG? Nobody has contributed a @#$%.pmd file yet. Go into the mrtg-2.16.2/translate directory and create your own translation file. When you are happy with it send it to me for inclusion with the next mrtg release. I need a script to make mrtg work with my xyz device. Probably this has already been done. Check the stuff in the mrtg-2.16.2/contrib directory. There is a file called 00INDEX in that directory which tells what you can find in there. How does this SNMP thing work There are many resources on the net that explain SNMP. Take a look at this article from the Linux Journal by David Guerrero http://www.david-guerrero.com/papers/snmp/ And at this rather long document from CISCO. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm The images created by MRTG look very strange. Remove the *-{week,day,month,year}.png files and start MRTG again. Using MRTG for the first time, you might have to do this twice. This will also help when you introduce new routers into the cfg file. What is my Community Name? Ask the person in charge of your Router or try 'public', as this is the default Community Name. My graphs show a flat line during an outage. Why ? Well, the short answer is that when an SNMP query goes out and a response doesn't come back, MRTG has to assume something to put in the graph, and by default it assumes that the last answer we got back is probably closer to the truth than zero. This assumption is not per- fect (as you have noticed). It's a trade-off that happens to fail during a total outage. If this is an unacceptable trade-off, use the unknaszero option. You may want to know what you're trading off, so in the spirit of trade-offs, here's the long answer: The problem is that MRTG doesn't know *why* the data didn't come back, all it knows is that it didn't come back. It has to do something, and it assumes it's a stray lost packet rather than an outage. Why don't we always assume the circuit is down and use zero, which will (we think) be more nearly right? Well, it turns out that you may be taking advantage of MRTG's "assume last" behaviour without being aware of it. MRTG uses SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) to collect data, and SNMP uses UDP (User Datagram Protocol) to ship packets around. UDP is connectionless (not guaranteed) unlike TCP where packets are tracked and acknowledged and, if needed, retransmitted. UDP just throws packets at the network and hopes they arrive. Sometimes they don't. One likely cause of lost SNMP data is congestion; another is busy routers. Other possibilities include transient telecommunications prob- lems, router buffer overflows (which may or may not be congestion-related), "dirty lines" (links with high error rates), and acts of God. These things happen all the time; we just don't notice because many interactive services are TCP-based and the lost packets get retransmit- ted automatically. In the above cases where some SNMP packets are lost but traffic is flowing, assuming zero is the wrong thing to do - you end up with a graph that looks like it's missing teeth whenever the link fills up. MRTG interpolates the lost data to produce a smoother graph which is more accurate in cases of intermittent packet loss. But with V2.8.4 and above, you can use the "unknaszero" option to produce whichever graph is best under the conditions typical for your network. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.16.2 2008-05-16 MRTG-FAQ(1)