Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with data type sizes
Top Forums Programming help with data type sizes Post 302489706 by fpmurphy on Friday 21st of January 2011 10:48:07 AM
Old 01-21-2011
I am going to close this thread. It is veering off-topic.

However I would like to point out that C and C++ have a special type defined for pointer arithmetic, namely ptrdiff_t, which is a typedef of a platform-specific signed integral type.

You can use a variable of type ptrdiff_t to store the result of subtracting or adding pointers as shown in the following simple example:
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
int main()
{
  int buf[10];
  ptrdiff_t diff = (&buf[4]) - buf;                   // diff = 4
  diff = buf -(&buf[6]);                              // diff =  -6
}

What are the advantages of ptrdiff_t? Self-documenting and portability - the underlying type may vary across programming models but porting requires no source code changes.
This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

FILE data type

Hi all, Can anyone tell me a little about the datatype FILE, which represents stream. What does its structure look like, and in which header file is it defined and so on... Ex : FILE *fp ; fp = fopen("filename", "w") ; (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
6 Replies

2. Programming

time_t data type-- what does start +1 mean?

Hi, I am trying to understand an very old C program. .... time_t start, end; ptr = localtime(&start); ... fprintf(out, "%-35s 01 %5s %2s %10d 1 5 /tty/M%d/%02d %24s", buffer3, job, ver, start, mach_num,atoi(buffer), asctime(ptr)); fprintf(out, "%-35s 03 %5s %2s %10d 1 5... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
9 Replies

3. Programming

data type limitation

I am writing some code to do analysis on the file system (HP-UX 11.11). I am using stat(..) to get file information. My problem is that the file-size may exceed the data types defined in 'sys/stat.h' & 'sys/types.h' respectively. Thus file-sizes in the Giga-byte range are not read correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
2 Replies

4. AIX

Value too large to be stored in data type???

Hello, I get this message : "Value too large to be stored in data type" when I try to open a 3Gb file. Can someone helps me to resolve the problem. Thank you very much (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: limame
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directorie listing in Human form for data sizes

I have seen it done at my job before, there is a command that will make a notepad and show the directorie path, subfolders, and size of the subfolders? But i dont want it to go lower than 2 levels for example: folder_01 10 GB subfolder_02 10 GB subfolder_03 10 GB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JUSSAN007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl data type checking

I am using perl 5.8.0. I need to check some values to see it they are floats. Our system does not have Data::Types so I can't use is_float. Is there something else that I can use? The only thing in Data is Dump.pm. I am not allowed to download anything to our system so I have to use what I have.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory allocation for float data type

Dear All, How internally memory allocated when we declare the float data type. how many bytes allocated for decimal and how many bytes for fraction. kindly help me in this regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I split a 10GB file into 1 GB sizes using my repeating data pattern

I'm not a unix guy so excuses my ignorance... I'm the database ETL guy. I'm trying to be proactive and devise a plan B for a ETL process where I expect a file 10X larger than what I process daily for a recast job. The ETL may handle it but I just don't know. This file may need to be split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john091
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Data type to use for prices with commas

Hi everybody, I`m very new with PHP and Databases and I having the follow issue with prices data.. The original information is in CSV files. The prices have formatted with commas and dots as follow: 12,300.99 -->(thousands separated by commas) 3,500.25 -->(thousands separated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
10 Replies

10. Programming

Incompatible data type fpos_t in C

This is from a program I wrote over in 1998 that I am trying to compile on a linux machine: void write_line (FILE *fp, int rec_no, line_rec *arec) { fpos_t woffset; woffset = (rec_no - 1) * sizeof(line_rec); fsetpos(fp,&woffset); fwrite(arec,sizeof(line_rec),1,fp); }On the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)