Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Discover the last user in a group to edit a file? Post 302489702 by rainedragon on Friday 21st of January 2011 10:11:09 AM
Old 01-21-2011
Thank you so much.

That, I guess, changes my question to 'would it be possible to automatically change the owner of a file to whom ever last touched the file?'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Edit/update an /etc/group database entry (c/c++)

Hello I'm writing a program for managing accounts and groups in a linux system. My problem is how to update the members of a group in the /etc/group file,if i have to add/remove those members. total 3 variables for adding some new members to the group : char **oldmembers=grp->gr_mem; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mekos
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it really not possible for me to edit the etc/group & the etc/passwd files?

From what I have read it possible to create a new group by editing the etc/group and etc/passwd in UNIX two files but a non-experienced user may face many problems such as destroying the file by mistake ot that his changes to these file does not make any difference. However, there is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatev3r
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How can i edit /etc/vfstab in single user mode

Hi Experts /etc/vfstab is corrupted as while editing it i forgot to comment some of the line. how can i edit the file in single in user mod? also, i have some problem in CD drive , so i cant boot it from CD and do the changes. i tried mounding the root file system as rw, however no... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
10 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

File owned by oracle user and dba group need readonly access to other users

Under oracle user file abc.txt was created. Oracle user belong to dba group on UNIX Server. However other non Oracle users which belongs to some other network groups need read only access to this file. Every time when I login as other then oracle user and try to view this file it saying that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: groosha
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sudo and edit other user's info.

i did a mistake. :( user1 ]$ vi ~/.bashrc sudo su - user2 now , whenever I try to login to user1 , it will login to user2. How can I resolve this ? :rolleyes: N.B -- I do not have root access. -- I dont know password of user2 -- this is a virtual machine. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make user groups and edit permissions?

OK guys and gals. I've been working on a debian system for a little bit, in hopes of making it into a system we can use for manifests and other things. I am very new to unix, particularly debian. I would like to make 2 or 3 different groups. 1 would be for me, and other people... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samee71
1 Replies
GROUP(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation ALTER GROUP(7) NAME
ALTER_GROUP - change role name or membership SYNOPSIS
ALTER GROUP group_name ADD USER user_name [, ... ] ALTER GROUP group_name DROP USER user_name [, ... ] ALTER GROUP group_name RENAME TO new_name DESCRIPTION
ALTER GROUP changes the attributes of a user group. This is an obsolete command, though still accepted for backwards compatibility, because groups (and users too) have been superseded by the more general concept of roles. The first two variants add users to a group or remove them from a group. (Any role can play the part of either a "user" or a "group" for this purpose.) These variants are effectively equivalent to granting or revoking membership in the role named as the "group"; so the preferred way to do this is to use GRANT(7) or REVOKE(7). The third variant changes the name of the group. This is exactly equivalent to renaming the role with ALTER ROLE (ALTER_ROLE(7)). PARAMETERS
group_name The name of the group (role) to modify. user_name Users (roles) that are to be added to or removed from the group. The users must already exist; ALTER GROUP does not create or drop users. new_name The new name of the group. EXAMPLES
Add users to a group: ALTER GROUP staff ADD USER karl, john; Remove a user from a group: ALTER GROUP workers DROP USER beth; COMPATIBILITY
There is no ALTER GROUP statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
GRANT(7), REVOKE(7), ALTER ROLE (ALTER_ROLE(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 ALTER GROUP(7)