Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why does /bin contain binaries for builtins? Post 302489495 by methyl on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:46:14 PM
Old 01-20-2011
Some implementations of unix insist that you use the Shell version even if you specify a path. When this happens, specifying the path just slows the script down.

On HP-UX "/usr/bin/cd" is actually a Posix Shell script.
There are another 100+ "binaries" in /usr/bin that are actually Posix Shell scripts.

Therefore where you want alternative functionality by using absolute paths it is worth checking whether the absolute path version isn't just a Shell script!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

program name and function name builtins

Hi Is there a way to get the program/script name or function name usng built ins. Like in many languages arg holds the program name regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

4. Programming

pthread_mutex_lock in ANSI C vs using Atomic builtins of GCC

I have a program which has 7-8 threads, and lots of shared variables; these variables (and also they may not the primitive type, they may be enum or struct ), then they may read/write by different threads at the same time. Now, my design is like this, typedef unsigned short int UINT16;... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Writing Custom Builtins for KSH93

I am looking to create some ksh93 extensions using the custom builtin feature. I can successfully create a builtin function, load it using the builtin -f command and get an output. However, I want to get/set values of KSH variables from within my built-in. For example, lets say I am creating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_programmer
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Solaris

What is the difference between xpg4/bin and usr/bin?

Hi Experts, I found that the same commands(sort, du, df, find, grep etc.) exists in both dir. What is the difference to use them? i.e: to use xpg4/bin/grep and usr/bin/grep My OS version is SunOS 5.10 Regards, Saps (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell and bash builtins...

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have collated a listing of shell and bash builtins. Builtins is a loose word and may include the '/bin' drawer/folder/directory but NOT any others in the path list. In the case of my Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.5 the enabled internals is also listed... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies

9. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
USE(1)								   User Commands							    USE(1)

NAME
use - Frontend to the Usepackage Environment Manager SYNOPSIS
csh and derivatives: source /usr/share/usepackage/use.csh bourne shell and derivatives: source /usr/share/usepackage/use.bsh korn shell: . /usr/share/usepackage/use.ksh use [-vs] [-f file] package ... use -l DESCRIPTION
Usepackage is an environment management program. It is based on the principle of packages - collections of executables that share a common set of necessary environment variables, such as PATH, MANPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For each given package, use sources the appropriate environment information into the current shell. The environment information is speci- fied in a configuration file, see usepackage(1). OPTIONS -v Output verbose information to the standard error stream. -s Silence warnings for un-matched packages. This is useful in a shell rc script when a package is known not to be available on all architectures that the shell is used on. -f file Specify an alternate initial configuration file. -l List available packages and groups. FILES
/usr/share/usepackage/usepackage.conf The default configuration file. /usr/share/usepackage/use.csh Shell setup for csh and derivatives. /usr/share/usepackage/use.bsh Shell setup for bourne shell and derivatives. /usr/share/usepackage/use.ksh Shell setup for ksh. /usr/bin/usepackage The underlying Usepackage executable. ENVIRONMENT
Other than the reading and re-definition of environment variables for package setup, use also uses the following environment variables for user configuration: PACKAGES_PATH Colon-separated path list giving the directories to search for configuration files. Shell-style tilde (~) user-directory escapes are expanded. HOME If present in the environment, this is used to provide the expansion for the tilde (~) user-directory. SHELL If present in the environment, the last path component of this is used for shell matching (see SYNTAX) and detecting the style of environment output that should be used, see usepackage(1). COPYRIGHT
Usepackage Environment Manager Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jonathan Hogg This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA SEE ALSO
usepackage(1), csh(1), sh(1), ksh(1) Usepackage $Date: 2005/12/11 16:42:09 $ USE(1)