Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming AIX calling WINSOCK during e-mail - normal? Post 302489483 by Corona688 on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:22:03 PM
Old 01-20-2011
None of that winsock stuff matters unless INCL_WINSOCK_API_PROTOTYPES is defined -- it's probably safe to ignore. Windows does in fact have a socket API that vaguely resembles the expected standard, so the code could have been ported as citaylor noted...

After it fails you can try perror("connection failed"); and it should print something like connection failed: no route to host or whatever to stderr.

connect() is usually a system call, not a function, meaning there's nothing happening inside your process to trace during connect() -- it's asleep. Some special instruction or software interrupt has transferred control to the kernel, which will wake it back up when its done.

For more detail on the connect call, try man 2 connect

---------- Post updated at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:06 PM ----------

I found this example for Linux, I think it should at be very close.

Here it is cleaned up and simplified a little.
Code:
    const char *host="smtp.whatever.com";
    short int port=25; // standard smtp port
    int sockfd, n;
    struct sockaddr_in serv_addr;
    struct hostent *server;

sockfd=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
    server=gethostbyname(host); // look up host's IP address

// copy the IP address and port into the address structure
    memset(&serv_addr, 0, sizeof(serv_addr));
    serv_addr.sin_family=AF_INET;
    bcopy(server->h_addr,&serv_addr.sin_addr.s_addr, server->h_length);
    serv_addr.sin_port=htons(port); // htons() puts it in the right byte order
    connect(sockfd, &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Calling All Aix Experts

I am new to the world of AIX. I want to get certified in AIX and learn it but fast. with in 3 months Could you give me some advise of a good site that with teach you or a bootcamp that is reasonable. I am really in need I am in atlanta (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Courtney3216
0 Replies

2. AIX

To find RAM Size in AIX as normal user?

Hi, Am jus trying to find the Total RAM Size of a AIX m/c (in MB)..svmon works perfectly for a superuser...But i want to achive this as a normal user...Please help me out with correct command.. Best Regards, Muthukumaran.M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthukumaran13
3 Replies

3. AIX

Normal User Unable to Login Through AIX CDE

When we as normal user try to login, the session startup terminates and we are presented with the login screen.The root user is able to login without any problem.I can log in to the Aix server as normal user through telnet & using xmanager but not directly through server terminal .The Aix version... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranadeep
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forwarding Mail in AIX 5.3

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a forwarding scenario, and I do not seem to get it right! I created a .forward file in the directory where my personal mailbox resides. In the file is the full address to deliver email to ... yet the emails do not seem to get forwarded. Is there something... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle (11gr2) calling unix commands (aix)

I have an Oracle database running on AIX, and I have a procedure that is calling OS commands from an oracle (and it's not working anymore)... so, there was an Java stored proc in Oracle CREATE OR REPLACE AND RESOLVE JAVA SOURCE NAMED COMMON."Host" as import java.io.*; public class Host {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bongo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling SQL script from ksh job and send mail on some error.

Hi, I am trying to call sql script from ksh job with parameters.The parameters passed from ksh job will be used in SELECT query in sql file to SPOOL the data in extract file.My questions are: 1) How to call a sql script from ksh job with parameters? 2) How to use the parameter in sql file to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil029
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX mail notification

plzzz help me, I want to send emails for exchange group members when the used file-system % gets more than 90%, this notification must include df -g, netstat -i,and errpt with the hostname thx in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: majd_ece
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send mail from AIX 7.1

Hi, My OS version is AIX 7.1. I am trying to send an email with a file to my mail address. sendmail or uuencode does not work. Can someone give me the correct format ? I use: uuencode <file name> | mail -s "subject" emailaddress Thanks Use code tags, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to set ACLs on sulog - need to grant read permission to a normal user on AIX 6.1

Hi, I need to grant read permission to a normal user on sulog file on AIX 6.1. As root I did acledit sulog and aclget shows "extended permissions" as "enabled" and normal user "splunk" has read permissions. When I try to access sulog as splunk user it won't allow and aclget for splunk user... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
SENDMMSG(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       SENDMMSG(2)

NAME
sendmmsg - send multiple messages on a socket SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <sys/socket.h> int sendmmsg(int sockfd, struct mmsghdr *msgvec, unsigned int vlen, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
The sendmmsg() system call is an extension of sendmsg(2) that allows the caller to transmit multiple messages on a socket using a single system call. (This has performance benefits for some applications.) The sockfd argument is the file descriptor of the socket on which data is to be transmitted. The msgvec argument is a pointer to an array of mmsghdr structures. The size of this array is specified in vlen. The mmsghdr structure is defined in <sys/socket.h> as: struct mmsghdr { struct msghdr msg_hdr; /* Message header */ unsigned int msg_len; /* Number of bytes transmitted */ }; The msg_hdr field is a msghdr structure, as described in sendmsg(2). The msg_len field is used to return the number of bytes sent from the message in msg_hdr (i.e., the same as the return value from a single sendmsg(2) call). The flags argument contains flags ORed together. The flags are the same as for sendmsg(2). A blocking sendmmsg() call blocks until vlen messages have been sent. A nonblocking call sends as many messages as possible (up to the limit specified by vlen) and returns immediately. On return from sendmmsg(), the msg_len fields of successive elements of msgvec are updated to contain the number of bytes transmitted from the corresponding msg_hdr. The return value of the call indicates the number of elements of msgvec that have been updated. RETURN VALUE
On success, sendmmsg() returns the number of messages sent from msgvec; if this is less than vlen, the caller can retry with a further sendmmsg() call to send the remaining messages. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Errors are as for sendmsg(2). An error is returned only if no datagrams could be sent. VERSIONS
The sendmmsg() system call was added in Linux 3.0. Support in glibc was added in version 2.14. CONFORMING TO
sendmmsg() is Linux-specific. NOTES
The value specified in vlen is capped to UIO_MAXIOV(1024). EXAMPLE
The example below uses sendmmsg() to send onetwo and three in two distinct UDP datagrams using one system call. The contents of the first datagram originates from a pair of buffers. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <netinet/ip.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> int main(void) { int sockfd; struct sockaddr_in sa; struct mmsghdr msg[2]; struct iovec msg1[2], msg2; int retval; sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); if (sockfd == -1) { perror("socket()"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } sa.sin_family = AF_INET; sa.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_LOOPBACK); sa.sin_port = htons(1234); if (connect(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *) &sa, sizeof(sa)) == -1) { perror("connect()"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } memset(msg1, 0, sizeof(msg1)); msg1[0].iov_base = "one"; msg1[0].iov_len = 3; msg1[1].iov_base = "two"; msg1[1].iov_len = 3; memset(&msg2, 0, sizeof(msg2)); msg2.iov_base = "three"; msg2.iov_len = 5; memset(msg, 0, sizeof(msg)); msg[0].msg_hdr.msg_iov = msg1; msg[0].msg_hdr.msg_iovlen = 2; msg[1].msg_hdr.msg_iov = &msg2; msg[1].msg_hdr.msg_iovlen = 1; retval = sendmmsg(sockfd, msg, 2, 0); if (retval == -1) perror("sendmmsg()"); else printf("%d messages sent ", retval); exit(0); } SEE ALSO
recvmmsg(2), sendmsg(2), socket(2), socket(7) Linux 2014-07-08 SENDMMSG(2)