Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find command - result order
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find command - result order Post 302489420 by radoulov on Thursday 20th of January 2011 11:55:37 AM
Old 01-20-2011
Because xargs processes n (not all) files at a time.
To get the desired result you need to sort the list after the entire resultset is available.
I suppose that something like this might work (untested):

Code:
perl -e'
  print join $/, sort { 
    -M $b <=> -M $a 
    } split $/, qx/find . -name "*201010*"/
    '

Last edited by radoulov; 01-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Corrected.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find command not returning any result

I am looking for all the header files (*.h).. which as per documentation of the UNIX system shouldbe there. I am using find / -name *.h -print But it does't give anything. My question is under what condition the "find" condition will fail to find the file? What is the work around. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rraajjiibb
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Setting a variable to result of FIND command

I am working on a batch script where a filter is placed on a directory, and the files that come out of that filter have to be copied into another directory. More specifically, I am trying to set the results of a FIND command to a variable, so that I may access this variable / file later. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JP Favara
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh : Problem with the result of a find command

Hi I'm working on solaris and I'm trying to run a script. The part listed here does not work properly, the result of the find command is not in the output file /tmp/result (I've checked the find command , executing the shell with sh -x , it seems correct). It seems like I've lost the standard... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchwill
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help - Find command with list of files modified descending Order

Hi, I would like to know the command to get the files order in descending order with "FIND" command. Appreciate your help Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonySolarisAdmi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get find command o/p in chronological order?

Hi friends, I am using below script to gzip files after naming them in a particular order. but I intend to name them in numerical order as per their timings(earlier updated fle with a smaller numeric extension than later updated),but this script is not working as planned. please help with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange result using find command.

I created a file with the permissions of 776. When I ran the command find /root/Desktop -perm -644 -type f The created file shows up as part of the results. Doesn't -perm -mode mean that for global, only 4(read) and 2(write) can be accepted ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only the files under a directory from the result of find command

Hi, I have a main folder 'home'. Lets say there is a folder 'bin' under 'home'. I want to check the list of files under subdirectories present under the /bin directory created in the last 24 hours. I am using the following find command under home/bin directory: find . -mtime -1 -print ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJose
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexplained result of 'find' command

Given this bit of script: retprd=$1 find ${extrnllogdir} -name "*.log" -mtime +$retprd -exec ls -l {} \; >> $logfile produces this (with 'set -x') ++ find /xfers/oracle/dw/data -name '*.log' -mtime +60 -exec ls -l '{}' ';' find: /xfers/oracle/dw/data/cron: Permission denied Where is he... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print the "grep" result as specified keyword order?

I have a content.xls file as given below, NC_020815.1 1891831 1894692 virb4_A0A0H2X8Z4_ 1 954 1945 NC_020815.1 1883937 1886123 vird4_A0A0P9KA26_ 1 729 1379 NC_020815.1 2976151 2974985 virb10_H8FLU5_Ba 1 393 478 NC_020815.1 2968797 2967745 virb6_A0A0Q5GCZ4 5 398 499... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
2 Replies
sort(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 sort(3pm)

NAME
sort - perl pragma to control sort() behaviour SYNOPSIS
use sort 'stable'; # guarantee stability use sort '_quicksort'; # use a quicksort algorithm use sort '_mergesort'; # use a mergesort algorithm use sort 'defaults'; # revert to default behavior no sort 'stable'; # stability not important use sort '_qsort'; # alias for quicksort my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current(); # identify prevailing algorithm } DESCRIPTION
With the "sort" pragma you can control the behaviour of the builtin "sort()" function. In Perl versions 5.6 and earlier the quicksort algorithm was used to implement "sort()", but in Perl 5.8 a mergesort algorithm was also made available, mainly to guarantee worst case O(N log N) behaviour: the worst case of quicksort is O(N**2). In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort defends against quadratic behaviour by shuffling large arrays before sorting. A stable sort means that for records that compare equal, the original input ordering is preserved. Mergesort is stable, quicksort is not. Stability will matter only if elements that compare equal can be distinguished in some other way. That means that simple numerical and lexical sorts do not profit from stability, since equal elements are indistinguishable. However, with a comparison such as { substr($a, 0, 3) cmp substr($b, 0, 3) } stability might matter because elements that compare equal on the first 3 characters may be distinguished based on subsequent characters. In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort can be stabilized, but doing so will add overhead, so it should only be done if it matters. The best algorithm depends on many things. On average, mergesort does fewer comparisons than quicksort, so it may be better when complicated comparison routines are used. Mergesort also takes advantage of pre-existing order, so it would be favored for using "sort()" to merge several sorted arrays. On the other hand, quicksort is often faster for small arrays, and on arrays of a few distinct values, repeated many times. You can force the choice of algorithm with this pragma, but this feels heavy-handed, so the subpragmas beginning with a "_" may not persist beyond Perl 5.8. The default algorithm is mergesort, which will be stable even if you do not explicitly demand it. But the stability of the default sort is a side-effect that could change in later versions. If stability is important, be sure to say so with a use sort 'stable'; The "no sort" pragma doesn't forbid what follows, it just leaves the choice open. Thus, after no sort qw(_mergesort stable); a mergesort, which happens to be stable, will be employed anyway. Note that no sort "_quicksort"; no sort "_mergesort"; have exactly the same effect, leaving the choice of sort algorithm open. CAVEATS
As of Perl 5.10, this pragma is lexically scoped and takes effect at compile time. In earlier versions its effect was global and took effect at run-time; the documentation suggested using "eval()" to change the behaviour: { eval 'use sort qw(defaults _quicksort)'; # force quicksort eval 'no sort "stable"'; # stability not wanted print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } { eval 'use sort qw(defaults stable)'; # force stability print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } Such code no longer has the desired effect, for two reasons. Firstly, the use of "eval()" means that the sorting algorithm is not changed until runtime, by which time it's too late to have any effect. Secondly, "sort::current" is also called at run-time, when in fact the compile-time value of "sort::current" is the one that matters. So now this code would be written: { use sort qw(defaults _quicksort); # force quicksort no sort "stable"; # stability not wanted my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current; } print "$current "; @a = sort @b; # Pragmas go out of scope at the end of the block } { use sort qw(defaults stable); # force stability my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current; } print "$current "; @c = sort @d; } perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 sort(3pm)