Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why does /bin contain binaries for builtins? Post 302489389 by methyl on Thursday 20th of January 2011 10:27:13 AM
Old 01-20-2011
Use the "type" command. The "which" command just searches down the current PATH.
Code:
type pwd
pwd is a shell builtin
type /usr/bin/pwd
/usr/bin/pwd is /usr/bin/pwd

You can override the Shell builtin by specifying the full path to the binary e.g. " /usr/bin/pwd".
There can be subtle differences when you are in a directory which is soft-linked to another directory. Try it.

Code:
# HP-UK with Posix Shell
ls -lad /usr/tmp
lrwxrwxrwt   1 root       sys              8 May  7  2003 /usr/tmp -> /var/tmp
cd /usr/tmp
pwd
/usr/tmp

/usr/bin/pwd
/var/tmp

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

program name and function name builtins

Hi Is there a way to get the program/script name or function name usng built ins. Like in many languages arg holds the program name regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

4. Programming

pthread_mutex_lock in ANSI C vs using Atomic builtins of GCC

I have a program which has 7-8 threads, and lots of shared variables; these variables (and also they may not the primitive type, they may be enum or struct ), then they may read/write by different threads at the same time. Now, my design is like this, typedef unsigned short int UINT16;... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Writing Custom Builtins for KSH93

I am looking to create some ksh93 extensions using the custom builtin feature. I can successfully create a builtin function, load it using the builtin -f command and get an output. However, I want to get/set values of KSH variables from within my built-in. For example, lets say I am creating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_programmer
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Solaris

What is the difference between xpg4/bin and usr/bin?

Hi Experts, I found that the same commands(sort, du, df, find, grep etc.) exists in both dir. What is the difference to use them? i.e: to use xpg4/bin/grep and usr/bin/grep My OS version is SunOS 5.10 Regards, Saps (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell and bash builtins...

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have collated a listing of shell and bash builtins. Builtins is a loose word and may include the '/bin' drawer/folder/directory but NOT any others in the path list. In the case of my Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.5 the enabled internals is also listed... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies

9. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)