Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question how to replace last character string Post 302489218 by Ygor on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 09:31:10 PM
Old 01-19-2011
Try...
Code:
echo ${T1%?}$T2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first character of string sed

I want to change the first/or any character of a string to upper-case: String: test Desired results: Test or tEst or teSt or tesT thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character in a string pattern and save the change in same file

I am facing one problem, can any one please suggest me the command for the same in unix. I am using Ksh. I have a large file with the data that looks like below. "ROTO2-2007f","_US01","9/15/2007","9/21/2007",346492,"NICK, LCD WATCH"97,1,"NAPOLITJ ","BERGER,M Z & CO INC",0.01, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihir0011
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace character in a string

Hi all, My problem is the following: I've a script that must list all files in a directory and write this information in a text file. I've tried to get the list through ls command and then write it using msgecho msgecho "`ls $PATH_APS_JOB_ORA`" This works good but the created string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: callimaco0082
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace any control character in the string

Need to replace any control character in the string in perl ---------- Post updated at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ---------- Any help !!! Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

5. Linux

How to replace the 2nd character in a string using sed?

Hi, i have string var1=NN. Based on conditions, i have to change this first N to Y or second N to Y and send the details to other process. How to do that? This is a linux machine. Thanks, Selva (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character from string

I have a string ----- i want to replace the 3rd '-' with a character How can i do that Basically im trying to do hangman I have added the '-----' string to a file called hash and i have the character in a variable called $input also i have the character location(index) in this variable... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omaral
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in certain position in a string

Hello everyone this is my first post of many to come :) I am writing a script and in this script at one point i need to replace a character in a particular position in a string for example: in the string "mystery" i would need to replace the 3rd position to an "r" so the string becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snipaa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a character in a string-help please

I have a string eg. word=promise and I have the masked version of the word which is -------(7dash for each character) if the user input a character O, I want the masked version of the word to be --o---- if the user inputs another character p, then the masked word becomes p-o---- How can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugurung
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with a special character in String

Hi, I am beginner to Shell Scripting. I have a String like this "testabcdef", i need the first character as it is and the remaining character should be replaced by the the '*' character. e.g(t***********) PLZ Suggest me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
5 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)