Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cpu fatal fault
Operating Systems Solaris cpu fatal fault Post 302489154 by DrDarkMatter on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 03:40:25 PM
Old 01-19-2011
cpu fatal fault

HI guys, I have a very old Sun Ultra 10 box at home I have been using as a backup server via Samba and admining via webmin, all it does it store data on a IDE 160 gig drive. I have been using it for years and years and all has been good till now, its running Solaris 9 on it. I only turn it on when needed, but last week I noticed it was not coming up. I normally dont have a monitor on it and I just manually map a drive to the Samba share.

When the map timed out and I could not connect via webmin i looked at the boot process via a monitor and I say a fatal CPU panic. I am assuming here that a CPU has finally failed. My problem is that I dont have another SUN box that I can use to mount it and get all my important backup data off.

so my question, how am I going to get the data off? I can pull the IDE drive out but how am I going to view and read it?Smilie

any idea guys?

thank you in advance peeps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

3. Solaris

cpu-shares vs cpu-cap in solaris

Can anyone tell me difference between cpu-shares vs cpu-cap in solaris & how FSS will work with cpu-caps ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Difference between CPU CHIP and CPU ID

Hi All, What is the difference between CPU CHIP and CUP ID on SUN/ Oracle M5000 servers.. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

5. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to combine multiple CPU to act as a single CPU on the same server?

We have a single threaded application which is restricted by CPU usage even though there are multiple CPUs on the server, hence leading to significant performance issues. Is it possible to merge / combine multiple CPUs at OS level so it appear as a single CPU for the application? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dissa
6 Replies

7. AIX

Entitled CPU lesser Than Used CPU !!

Hi All, It may be a n00b question, but i really want to know , How Entitled Capacity is less and Used CPU is more when there is no Free CPU is available in the managed system. I have 5LPARs in a MS with Dual VIO. Managed System CPU details Available: 0.20 Assigned to partitions: 15.80... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
11 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

PHP Fatal Errors During SSL Cert Management - PHP Fatal error: xc_fcntl_mutex failed

Today, I noticed some errors in our SSL cert renewal log files, mostly related to domains where the IP address had changed. Concerned about this, rebuilt out SSL cert, which normally goes well without a hiccup. However, for today, for some reason which I cannot explain, there was a PHP error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why Entitlement CPU can't be set to same as Virtual CPU?

I read that Entitlement CPU should be set to max 75% compare to Virtual CPU. May I know the reason. I have set the Entitlement CPU = Virtual CPU on AIX . It works fine . Can you help to understand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabhanes
1 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [ -a blkno [blkno...]] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option cannot be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)