Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat BASH command not found strang behavior Post 302489093 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 12:31:44 PM
Old 01-19-2011
'reset' resets your terminal characteristics to normal.

You must have run something that dumped a bunch of non-ASCII characters into the terminal. Some of which your terminal coincidentally managed to understand as escape sequences, mashing random settings in your terminal(colors, font settings, scrolling regions, etc) until it was unable to show proper output anymore.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash: cron-config: command not found - PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hello All, I have installed Cygwin on Windows XP and working with some Shell scripting work, I have needed to schedule my script using the cornetab and whatever commands such as "cron", "cron-config" are not working in my cygwin shell, I re-installed the Cygwin but the same problem is with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriya
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash and #1bin/sh command not found error on mac osx terminal/shell script

i am having a weird error on mac os x running some shell scripts. i am a complete newbie at this and this question concerns 2 scripts. one of which a friend of mine wrote (videochecker.sh) a couple weeks ago and it's been running fine on another machine. then last week i wrote capture.sh and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm:command not found in linux Bash shell script

Hi All, Linux lxs3er06 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Issue: While executing shell scripts in bash shell, following error messages are thrown: rm:command not found On doing little investigation, I added '/bin' to $PATH and on doing echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash:vi:command not found

I downloaded and installed "Cygwin yesterday onto my PC running Windows XP. When I tried to type "vi" in Cygwin's window, I got the following message bash: vi: Command not found What shud i do inorder to get into vi editor Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: <command nm> command not found

I created a script that I need to run from time to time, but get this error message. To get it working again I run this command from time to time: export PATH="$PATH:~/scripts" I put all my automated scripts in the /scripts directory and would like to run my scripts from any directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash : While Loop behavior

Good Morning I think there may be something I dont understand fully. The following code works well, but I dont like the set domen method. #!/bin/bash # domen="y" while do echo " M A I N - M E N U" echo "1. Contents of /etc/passwd" echo "2. List of users currently logged" echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found, but using function in bash

In the bash below, if the answer is "y" then goto function remove. If the answer is "n" then goto the id variable line (where the date is inputted). However, I am getting command remove not found, but remove is a function not an command. I must have the syntax incorrect? Thank you :). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

-bash: sendmail: command not found

Hello Experts, I have been trying to send a test mail in our linux server with sendmail command.But I am getting command not found error message. -->when I tried whether sendmail installed or not with the command rpm -qa sendmail* I got the below, sendmail-cf-8.14.4-8.el6.noarch... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devipriya Ch
26 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies
TERMINAL_COLORS.D(5)						 terminal-colors.d					      TERMINAL_COLORS.D(5)

NAME
terminal-colors.d - Configure output colorization for various utilities SYNOPSIS
/etc/terminal-colors.d/[[name][@term].][type] DESCRIPTION
Files in this directory determine the default behavior for utilities when coloring output. The name is a utility name. The name is optional and when none is specified then the file is used for all unspecified utilities. The term is a terminal identifier (the TERM environment variable). The terminal identifier is optional and when none is specified then the file is used for all unspecified terminals. The type is a file type. Supported file types are: disable Turns off output colorization for all compatible utilities. enable Turns on output colorization; any matching disable files are ignored. scheme Specifies colors used for output. The file format may be specific to the utility, the default format is described below. If there are more files that match for a utility, then the file with the more specific filename wins. For example, the filename "@xterm.scheme" has less priority than "dmesg@xterm.scheme". The lowest priority are those files without a utility name and terminal iden- tifier (e.g. "disable"). The user-specific $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/terminal-colors.d or $HOME/.config/terminal-colors.d overrides the global setting. EXAMPLES
Disable colors for all compatible utilities: touch /etc/terminal-colors.d/disable Disable colors for all compatible utils on a vt100 terminal: touch /etc/terminal-colors.d/@vt100.disable Disable colors for all compatible utils except dmesg(1): touch /etc/terminal-colors.d/disable touch /etc/terminal-colors.d/dmesg.enable DEFAULT SCHEME FILES FORMAT
The following statement is recognized: name color-sequence The name is a logical name of color sequence (for example "error"). The names are specific to the utilities. For more details always see the COLORS section in the man page for the utility. The color-sequence is a color name, ASCII color sequences or escape sequences. Color names black, blink, blue, bold, brown, cyan, darkgray, gray, green, halfbright, lightblue, lightcyan, lightgray, lightgreen, lightmagenta, lightred, magenta, red, reset, reverse, and yellow. ANSI color sequences The color sequences are composed of sequences of numbers separated by semicolons. The most common codes are: 0 to restore default color 1 for brighter colors 4 for underlined text 5 for flashing text 30 for black foreground 31 for red foreground 32 for green foreground 33 for yellow (or brown) foreground 34 for blue foreground 35 for purple foreground 36 for cyan foreground 37 for white (or gray) foreground 40 for black background 41 for red background 42 for green background 43 for yellow (or brown) background 44 for blue background 45 for purple background 46 for cyan background 47 for white (or gray) background Escape sequences To specify control or blank characters in the color sequences, C-style -escaped notation can be used: a Bell (ASCII 7)  Backspace (ASCII 8) e Escape (ASCII 27) f Form feed (ASCII 12) Newline (ASCII 10) Carriage Return (ASCII 13) Tab (ASCII 9) v Vertical Tab (ASCII 11) ? Delete (ASCII 127) \_ Space \ Backslash () ^ Caret (^) # Hash mark (#) Please note that escapes are necessary to enter a space, backslash, caret, or any control character anywhere in the string, as well as a hash mark as the first character. For example, to use a red background for alert messages in the output of dmesg(1), use: echo 'alert 37;41' >> /etc/terminal-colors.d/dmesg.scheme Comments Lines where the first non-blank character is a # (hash) are ignored. Any other use of the hash character is not interpreted as introducing a comment. FILES
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/terminal-colors.d $HOME/.config/terminal-colors.d /etc/terminal-colors.d ENVIRONMENT
TERMINAL_COLORS_DEBUG=all enables debug output. COMPATIBILITY
The terminal-colors.d functionality is currently supported by all util-linux utilities which provides colorized output. For more details always see the COLORS section in the man page for the utility. AVAILABILITY
terminal-colors.d is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux January 2014 TERMINAL_COLORS.D(5)