Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding? Post 302489021 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 08:59:14 AM
Old 01-19-2011
You have not said what platform you are on. There are different utilities on different platforms which can help you. For example, Solaris has the auto_ef (Auto Encoding Finder) utility which does what you are want. On GNU/Linux the file utility provides this information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encoding in Unix

1. I have a shell script which creates a file using cat command. How can i find what encoding the file follows (e.g. UTF8, ANSI)? 2. I want to convert that file to PC-ANSI format. How can i achieve that? I am using HP-Unix. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmallya
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete original wav file if lame was successful encoding.

In a bash script: src=”cooltrack.wav” dst=”cooltrack.mp3” lame $src $dst I would like to add some line that would delete the source wav file like: rm $src but I would like this only if the encoding was successful. What should I include before deleting the original to check that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aia
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinment
2 Replies

4. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin vi XML file encoding problem

Hi, I have got a zip (binary) file transferred from MacOS (thus it has additional __MACOSX directory packed inside). On extracting this zip, there are few *.xml files available. When I opened this *.xml file in vim editor using Cygwin (on windows) the editor displayed in the bottom. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determing the encoding of a file

Hi, I am trying to determine the encoding for the file, because to convert to UTF-8, it seems as though I have to know the encoding of the source. Tried this file <filename> give me this: <filename>:data or International Language text Tried to see the locale and this is the output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ISO 88591 file encoding charset in Linux

Hello Experts, please help to provide any insight as I am facing issue migrating java application from hpux to redhat. The java program is using InputStreamReader to read a file without specifying any charset parameter. However, in new Linux Redhat 5.6 environent, when reading a file that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonic_air
1 Replies

9. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know file encoding?

how can i know what format a file is * example: UTF-8 ANSI UCS2 i am in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies
YYT(1)							      Yi Yan Tang User Manual							    YYT(1)

NAME
yyt - A psuedo tty program which automatically converts among Chinese encodings. SYNOPSIS
yyt [-h|--help] yyt [-V|--version] yyt [-f encoding|--from=encoding] [-t encoding|--to=encoding] [command...] Where [command...] is the command you want to run using yyt. If not given, the default is set to the environment variable SHELL. If SHELL is not set, /bin/sh will be used. DESCRIPTION
yyt is a psuedo tty program that will translate Chinese encodings automatically on a console. Supported encodings are BIG5/GB2312/HZ/UTF-7/UTF-8/UCS. yyt is similar to hztty(1) except that yyt will make things automatic all the way. Yi Yan Tang use Saka's libhz to detect and convert Chinese encodings. libhz is include in autoconvert and can be found at http://www.debian.org/~ygh/. OPTIONS
yyt supports following Chinese encodings for both input and output: GB2312, BIG5, HZ, UTF-7, UTF-8, UCS yyt supports following command line options: -f encoding or --from=encoding This option sets the encoding of the incoming text. The valid values of encoding are specified above. -t encoding or --to=encoding This option sets the encoding of the local terminal. The valid values of encoding are specified above. -h or --help This option prints out the usage of yyt. -V or --version Gives the current version of ytt. NOTE: If the --from encoding is not set, yyt will guess the encoding of the incoming text. You can safely type the command: % yyt to start the program. Then you can use the command-mode described below to control how yyt acts. USAGE
There are some on the fly commands which can be used to control the behavior of yyt once it is started. User can use these commands to switch encoding, disable auto-encoding-detection or turn off encoding conversion all together. To active the yyt command mode, press the combination key ctrl-y (for switch-on-YYT-command-mode). Then follow a single key command. Once the command is entered, the command mode is switched off. The possible commands in the command mode are: g For switch incoming encoding to GB2312 encoding. b For switch incoming encoding to BIG5 encoding. h For switch incoming encoding to HZ encoding. u For switch incoming encoding to UCS encoding. 7 For switch incoming encoding to UTF-7 encoding. 8 For switch incoming encoding to UTF-8 encoding. r For reset encoding state to the initial mode. d For turn off all the encoding conversions. a For set the incoming encoding to auto-detect mode. y For input a ctrl-y keycode to the terminal so that ctrl-y can still be typed in. Note: If the incoming encoding is explicitly set either through command line options or on line command, the user input is also converted from the terminal encoding to the incoming encoding. ENVIRONMENT
LC_CTYPE If set, the incoming encoding will be set to the encoding of LC_CTYPE. LC_CTYPE will be Overriden by the --to command line option. SHELL If set and there are no command line option given for [command...], the SHELL will be executed on the start of the program. DIAGNOSTICS
Please see BUGS section. BUGS
yyt tries to segment a stream of text into Hanzi parts and English parts. That way, we can have a better guessing on the Chinese encodings for every small part of Chinese. However, Hanzi segmentation does not always work correctly, especially when using curses/slang based pro- grams. Redraw screen (normally ctrl-l) sometime correct it. This problem is expected. Suggestions on better segmentation algrithm are always welcomed. Turn off auto-detection by specify a fromcode by (ctr-y key ) will give better conversion result. AUTHOR
hashao <hashao@chinese.com> SEE ALSO
libhz(3), pyhz(7), hztty(1) yiyantang homepage at http://yiyantang.on.openave.net/ autoconvert homepage at http://www.debian.org/~ygh/ YiYanTang June 2001 YYT(1)