Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A trick to avoid ESC in vim
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A trick to avoid ESC in vim Post 302488701 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 08:25:05 AM
Old 01-18-2011

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stupid find trick

At work, we use a software development product (from a company that will remain nameless, but whose name may be considered a synonym for "logical"). The development trees are organized beneath a top directory, let's call it "$rat". The first level under $rat contains the major system names, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: criglerj
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for tips ant trick extend vi

Hello im looking for sites or tutorials how to extend vi (not vim) for programming and scripting beyond simple editing . Thanks allot (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to invoke ESC+K

How to invoke ESC+K to get recent commands in Korn Shell. In some of the unix machine ESC+K is available and in some machines, it does not work. All of the machines that I work have Korn shell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any trick to speed up script?

Hi Guys, I have a script that I am using to convert some text files to xls files. I create multiple temp. files in the process of conversion. Other than reducing the temp. files, are there any general tricks to help speed up the script? I am running it in the bash shell. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Esc - key

hi i remember sometime back working in unix, when u dont recall a complete file name..u hit ESC key couple of times and actual complete name of that file which u looking for , gets visible For this to be enabled , do we need to make any entry in .profile file. In my current project, am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative to the grep trick

Hi, We used to use the below commands often. ps -ef|grep bc ps -ef|grep abc|grep -v grep Both fairly returns the same result. For example, the process name is dynamic and we are having the process name in a variable, how we can apply the above trick. For example "a" is the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
11 Replies

8. Programming

Oracle TRICk Question

HI Guys , Below are the two columns ITEMS and STATE of table . ITEMS STATE '2345','ggdh','k5tg','dgyt','hFF' DF '1234','ghyt','DDD','GHTD','ABF' PQ Can we get output in PL/SQL in below way ?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX trick or command

Hi, Is there any command to do this -- Input is -- Ant Bat Cat Dog Output is -- A_Ant B_Ant A_Bat B_Bat A_Cat B_Cat A_Dog B_Dog (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
12 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)