Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cut not working the way i want it to Post 302488652 by ShinTec on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 05:05:22 AM
Old 01-18-2011
sorry for the late post been busy. i want the delimiter to be a colon because the file that im reading in has fields in it that are separated by a colon .When i cut a field from the input file that has a space in it like this eg ("CFSF090898:this 93490394:2323Chi") it only reads the "this" part of the string but does not read the rest of the string. The "93490394" part of the string is ommitted its like it got chopped off and fallen into the abyss why?
forgive me if it doesnt make sense im bad at explaining stuff

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/usr/bin/cut not working with largefiles on Solaris 10

I have a person running a perl script that is parsing > 2G log files and pipes to cut -d " " -f 1,6,7,8... The script itself is in a nfs mounted home directory. It runs fine when started from a solaris 8 box but fails after about 400 lines when started from the solaris 10 box. The solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wottie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut not working in a loop

I have a function "MyPrint" that runs great on a file (BaseData.txt) that has one line of data. If i add rows to the text file it's reading the tFile variable becomes a list of every field 2 in the file. To correct this, i tried to call the function from a loop where i read one line at a time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KME
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the present working directory

how to traverse through each directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command not working in for loop

grep -Fxvf testdata.xls file_GTDA1.xls >file_GTDA.xls SLS_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` PMIX_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Pmix' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` if ; then var1=`cat file_GTDA.xls|grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls_'` var4="|" for i in $var1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command, no input delim, output delim not working

Hello, I'm using cygwin on my Windows 7 machine. From the man pages of cut: --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter I tried the following commands and got the error messages: $ cut -c1-10,20-30 -d... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kojac
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is my cut command not working ?

OS : RHEL 6.8 Shell : bash I want to remove all lines like below from the history output as it has password. $ history | grep sqlplus 239 sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.5.12.106/OCSGPD 256 sqlplus osb_soa/KD1egM09@10.5.12.196/BSOAPRD 279 sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.80.16.219/OCSGPD... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
CUT(1)									FSF								    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST output only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST output only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST output only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n with -b: don't split multibyte characters -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by David Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command info cut should give you access to the complete manual. cut (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 CUT(1)