Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't figure this one out --
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't figure this one out -- Post 302488584 by Chubler_XL on Monday 17th of January 2011 08:23:31 PM
Old 01-17-2011
The reason for this is touch was called with three arguments:

Code:
touch ~/vendorlists/First Vendor File.txt

If you want to create a file with spaces in it's name quote the variable:

Code:
* ) touch ~/vendorlists/"$vendorfilename.txt"  #places file into the vendorlists folder

This results in a call to touch like this, which is what you need:
Code:
touch ~/vendorlists/"First Vendor File.txt"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i can not figure this out

I am having problems scripting in UNIX. I am currently attending school and for the first time I am being introduced to scripting. My problem is I am supposed to enhance the spell_check by adding a third optional argument. The third argument is to specify a list of words to be added to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steph
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

figure it out

hi there i am new to this site and this linux and unix stuff so kind of plz help me out hoe to start the stuff.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool_dude
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out else not matching

All, I appreciate any help you can provide on this. I get an "else unmatched" error with this code and can't figure out why. If I remove the 1st if statement through the 1st else the script runs through fine. Any thoughts? #decrypt file sudo -u gpg /usr/bin/gpg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peteroc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant figure out this..

Hi, I need a little help here. I am exporting user info from a PSQL database and everything is working with the exception of this: 10029008:dsAuthMethodStandard\:dsAuthClearText:classword:10029008:2004:10029008:10029008:/home/student/1002/90/08:10029008 It is putting a colon right before the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stud33
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

How do I figure out the subnet?

Hi, How do I get subnet from this: 10.252.0.138/25 Tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to figure out the logic for this problem

Hello, i am on 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp i have directory named /home , and in there i have directory 2009_10_10 and two files : 2009_10_10.log and 2009_10_11.log How to write shell script which will delete only file/s that don't have his/their 'parent' directory, so in this case , only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to figure out what each IP address is used for?

Hi, I have inherited a server at work that has one IP and two virtual IP's. It is live and I want to figure out what each IP is being used for. I thought of NETSTAT but I cannot figure out how to get it to list what each IP is listening for. ANy advice? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't figure out how this is working

I have two machines, each with a virtual interface, with the following configurations: Machine1: eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:6B:19:E5:05 inet addr:172.16.0.201 Bcast:172.16.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 eth2:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:6B:19:E5:05 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: druidmatrix
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out why this repeats

#!/bin/sh while IFS=: read address port; do : ${port:=443} address=$address port=$port cd $f_location number=`grep "$address" thing.txt -A 1 | grep "addresses=" | cut -d'"' -f2` echo "$address,$port,$number,$answer" >>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)