Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't figure this one out --
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't figure this one out -- Post 302488584 by Chubler_XL on Monday 17th of January 2011 08:23:31 PM
Old 01-17-2011
The reason for this is touch was called with three arguments:

Code:
touch ~/vendorlists/First Vendor File.txt

If you want to create a file with spaces in it's name quote the variable:

Code:
* ) touch ~/vendorlists/"$vendorfilename.txt"  #places file into the vendorlists folder

This results in a call to touch like this, which is what you need:
Code:
touch ~/vendorlists/"First Vendor File.txt"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i can not figure this out

I am having problems scripting in UNIX. I am currently attending school and for the first time I am being introduced to scripting. My problem is I am supposed to enhance the spell_check by adding a third optional argument. The third argument is to specify a list of words to be added to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steph
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

figure it out

hi there i am new to this site and this linux and unix stuff so kind of plz help me out hoe to start the stuff.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool_dude
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out else not matching

All, I appreciate any help you can provide on this. I get an "else unmatched" error with this code and can't figure out why. If I remove the 1st if statement through the 1st else the script runs through fine. Any thoughts? #decrypt file sudo -u gpg /usr/bin/gpg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peteroc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant figure out this..

Hi, I need a little help here. I am exporting user info from a PSQL database and everything is working with the exception of this: 10029008:dsAuthMethodStandard\:dsAuthClearText:classword:10029008:2004:10029008:10029008:/home/student/1002/90/08:10029008 It is putting a colon right before the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stud33
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

How do I figure out the subnet?

Hi, How do I get subnet from this: 10.252.0.138/25 Tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to figure out the logic for this problem

Hello, i am on 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp i have directory named /home , and in there i have directory 2009_10_10 and two files : 2009_10_10.log and 2009_10_11.log How to write shell script which will delete only file/s that don't have his/their 'parent' directory, so in this case , only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to figure out what each IP address is used for?

Hi, I have inherited a server at work that has one IP and two virtual IP's. It is live and I want to figure out what each IP is being used for. I thought of NETSTAT but I cannot figure out how to get it to list what each IP is listening for. ANy advice? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't figure out how this is working

I have two machines, each with a virtual interface, with the following configurations: Machine1: eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:6B:19:E5:05 inet addr:172.16.0.201 Bcast:172.16.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 eth2:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:6B:19:E5:05 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: druidmatrix
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out why this repeats

#!/bin/sh while IFS=: read address port; do : ${port:=443} address=$address port=$port cd $f_location number=`grep "$address" thing.txt -A 1 | grep "addresses=" | cut -d'"' -f2` echo "$address,$port,$number,$answer" >>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies
TOUCH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch -- change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-acfhm] [-r file] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] file ... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the modification and access times of files to the current time of day. If the file doesn't exist, it is created with default permissions. The following options are available: -a Change the access time of the file. The modification time of the file is not changed unless the -m flag is also specified. -c Do not create the file if it does not exist. The touch utility does not treat this as an error. No error messages are displayed and the exit value is not affected. -f Attempt to force the update, even if the file permissions do not currently permit it. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the times of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. Note that -h implies -c and thus will not create any new files. -m Change the modification time of the file. The access time of the file is not changed unless the -a flag is also specified. -r Use the access and modifications times from the specified file instead of the current time of day. -t Change the access and modification times to the specified time. The argument should be in the form ``[[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]'' where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If ``YY'' is specified, but ``CC'' is not, a value for ``YY'' between 69 and 99 results in a ``CC'' value of 19. Otherwise, a ``CC'' value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 1 to 12. DD the day of the month, from 1 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 0 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 0 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 0 to 61. If the ``CC'' and ``YY'' letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the ``SS'' letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. DIAGNOSTICS
The touch utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
utimes(2) COMPATIBILITY
The obsolescent form of touch, where a time format is specified as the first argument, is supported. When no -r or -t option is specified, there are at least two arguments, and the first argument is a string of digits either eight or ten characters in length, the first argument is interpreted as a time specification of the form ``MMDDhhmm[YY]''. The ``MM'', ``DD'', ``hh'' and ``mm'' letter pairs are treated as their counterparts specified to the -t option. If the ``YY'' letter pair is in the range 39 to 99, the year is set to 1939 to 1999, otherwise, the year is set in the 21st century. HISTORY
A touch utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. STANDARDS
The touch utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD