Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tab and Enter
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tab and Enter Post 302488397 by Scrutinizer on Monday 17th of January 2011 04:22:49 AM
Old 01-17-2011
\ as the last character of the line removes the linefeed character that immediately follows (if it is interpreted by the shell (and some programs))

So:
Code:
plot 'datafile1' , \
'datafile2'

is the same as:
Code:
plot 'datafile1' , 'datafile2'

---------- Post updated at 10:22 ---------- Previous update was at 10:04 ----------

In your last example you use \ before a space instead of a linefeed, BTW. If it is used to remove a linefeed then it needs to be the last character on the line before the linefeed..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with Enter Character

I'm using PHP in my site. I have txt files for news. I reads the txt files and post the news. i have a php function that finds the caracter asc(13) which is the enter, and puts a <br>. It works in Windows, but not on Unix. Can u help me with that. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zecarlos
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Cant enter password

When i come to the login screen i will put root and no password, and it will say its incorrect, but even when i try to enter a password nothing comes up in the box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: possuman72
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Enter to OBP

Hello, today i'm comment in /etc/vfstab fs /usr and my server load in SingleUser without anything commands :( How i can enter to OBP from # ? or ILOM ? I'm try CTRL+BREAK (F5) , CTRL+ALT+BREAK (F5) and #. but it's don't help me :(((( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to have ENTER after each symbol.

I want to know script for Input file : 123456789 outputfile : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 now please how can generalize it like i want output : 123 456 789 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparkriver
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger Enter

Hello, I need to trigger every time enter has been clicked while some one on terminal i tried to googleit but with out result any idea ?? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AYAK
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove enter

Hi All, I have a file , delimited by | Last column of the file has a extra enter causing error in my program Eg: firstworld <enter>; NO EMP i want data to be firstworld; NO EMP Is there a way to remove enter from a file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab delimited file that is not tab delimited.

Hi Forum I have a tab delimited file that opens well in Openoffice calc (excel). But when I perform any operation in command line, it reads the file incorrectly. When I 'save As' the same file in office as tab delimited then it works fine. The file that I think is tab delimited is actually... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imlearning
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop logic, enter into respective IF as per enter input file name

have three big data file, however I just need to see the mentioned below one line form the all the file which has SERVER_CONNECTION Value File 1 export SERVER_CONNECTION=//dvlna002:10001/SmartServer File2 export SERVER_CONNECTION=///SmartServer File3 export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
PLOT(3F)																  PLOT(3F)

NAME
plot: openpl et al. - f77 library interface to plot(3X) libraries. SYNOPSIS
subroutine openpl() subroutine erase() subroutine label(str) character str*(*) subroutine line(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) subroutine box(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) Draw a rectangle and leave the cursor at ( ix2,iy2). subroutine circle(ix, iy, ir) subroutine arc(ix, iy, ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine move(ix, iy) subroutine cont(ix, iy) subroutine point(ix, iy) subroutine linemd(str) character str*(*) subroutine space(ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine clospl() DESCRIPTION
These are interface subroutines, in the library -lf77plot, allowing f77 users to call the plot(3X) graphics routines which generate graphic output in a relatively device-independent manner. The f77 subroutine names are the same as the C function names except that linemod and closepl have been shortened to linemd and clospl . See plot(5) and plot(3X) for a description of their effect. Only the first 255 character in string arguments to label and linemd are used. This library must be specified in the f77(1) command before the device specific graphics library; for example, to compile and load a FOR- TRAN program in prog.f to run on a Tektronix 4014 terminal: f77 prog.f -lf77plot -l4014 See plot(3X) for a complete list of device specific plotting libraries. SEE ALSO
plot(5), plot(1G), plot(3X), graph(1G) 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 30, 1986 PLOT(3F)