Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: how to limit pattern search to first instance only Post 302488348 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 16th of January 2011 11:25:50 PM
Old 01-17-2011
Yes awk can do this:
Code:
awk '!s&&/^begpattern/ {s=++d} !d ; /endpattern/ {d=0}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Search Pattern and Replace with the Pattern

Hello All, I have a string "CP_STATUS OSSRC_R6_0_Shipment_R1H_CU AOM_901046 R1H_LLSV1_2008031", and I just want to extract LLSV1, but I dont get the expected result when using the sed command below. # echo "CP_STATUS OSSRC_R6_0_Shipment_R1H_CU AOM_901046 R1H_LLSV1_2008031" | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to use new line in sed search pattern.

hi , my lilo.conf is as shown below : prompt default=Primary read-only image=/boot/bzImage label=Primary root=/dev/md0 append="reboot=t md=0 ip=off panic=5 quiet console=ttyS0,115200n81" read-only image=/boot/bzImage label=Recover root=/dev/sda3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: success
7 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

pattern search with sed

Hi, I want to do replacing of some pattern by using sed. pattern : " white space / to white space / script is : sed -e s/\"\$hi/\$hi/ \ -e s/\"\ \\/\\/ \ test.res > test.output + sed -e 's/"$hi/$hi/' -e 's/" \/\/' test.res sed: -e expression #2, char 8: unterminated `s'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhrat kapoor
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern within file using sed..

Hi, Could someone help me in figuring out a way using which i can search for a specific pattern. Eg. JUSTDOIT..I have to print just the word "DO" from "JUSTDOIT" If the same word JUSTDOIT is print n number of times (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search pattern and delete lines

Hello, i have a question. My problem is that i have a file like: TEST JOHN ADAM MICHAEL SEBASTIAN ANDY i want find for MICHAEL and want delete lines like this: TEST (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightball
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to print first instance of pattern in range

The following text is in testFile.txt: one 5 two 10 three 15 four 20 five 25 six 10 seven 35 eight 10 nine 45 ten 50 I'd like to use sed to print the first occurance of search pattern /10/ in a given range. This command is to be run against large log files, so to optimize efficiency,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for first instance of a pattern

Hi Everyone, I have the below information from a log file: LOAD SUMMARY ============ WRT_8036 Target: TGT_1_TAB (Instance Name: ) WRT_8039 Inserted rows - Requested: 3929 Applied: 0 Rejected: 3929 Affected: 0 Mutated from update: 3929 WRT_8041 Updated rows ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Search and replace within pattern

Hi Guys! Unix newbie here! Have a requirement for which I have been scouting the forums for a solution but has been out of luck so far :( I have a file which contains the following:- TEST1|TEST2|"TEST3|1@!2"|TEST5 My sed command should result in either one the following output:-... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hishamzz
6 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)