Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK : Add Fields of lines with matching field Post 302488273 by m.d.ludwig on Sunday 16th of January 2011 12:29:55 PM
Old 01-16-2011
The awk script:
Code:
{ l[NR] = $1; n[$1]++; s[$1] += $2; }
END {
  for (i in n) { a[i] = s[i] / n[i]; }
  for (i = 1; i <= NR; i++) { print l[i], a[l[i]]; }
}

Results in:
Code:
Test1 7.5
Test1 7.5
Test2 6.66667
Test2 6.66667
Test2 6.66667
Test3 4

You can adjust the print to get the numeric precision you need.
This User Gave Thanks to m.d.ludwig For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Tab Separated Field with AWK to all and print lines of unique fields.

Hi. I have a tab separated file that has a couple nearly identical lines. When doing: sort file | uniq > file.new It passes through the nearly identical lines because, well, they still are unique. a) I want to look only at field x for uniqueness and if the content in field x is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and Merging csv data fields based on a common field

Dear List, I have a file of csv data which has a different line per compliance check per host. I do not want any omissions from this csv data file which looks like this: date,hostname,status,color,check 02-03-2012,COMP1,FAIL,Yellow,auth_pass_change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add plus or minus to fields and split another field

In the tab-delimited input below I am trying to use awk to -10 from $2 and +10 to $3. Something like awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' -v s=10 '{split($4,a,":"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,a,$5,$6} | awk {split(a,b,"-"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,b-s,b+s,$5,$6}' input should do that. I also need to -10 from $4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines where field count is greather than 1 in two fields

I am trying to remove all the lines and spaces where the count in $4 or $5 is greater than 1 (more than 1 letter). The file and the output are tab-delimited. Thank you :). file X 5811530 . G C NLGN4X 17 10544696 . GA G MYH3 9 96439004 . C ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on text in field and value in two additional fields

In the awk below I am trying to print the entire line, along with the header row, if $2 is SNV or MNV or INDEL. If that condition is met or is true, and $3 is less than or equal to 0.05, then in $7 the sub pattern :GMAF= is found and the value after the = sign is checked. If that value is less than... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Continued trouble matching fields in different files and selective field printing ([g]awk)

I apologize in advance, but I continue to have trouble searching for matches between two files and then printing portions of each to output in awk and would very much appreciate some help. I have data as follows: File1 PS012,002 PRQ 0 1 1 17 1 0 -1 3 2 1 2 -1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add text to matching pattern in field

In the awk I am trying to add :p.=? to the end of each $9 that matches the pattern NM_. The below executes andis close but I can not seem to figure out why the :p.=? repeats in the split as in the green in the current output. I have added comments as well. Thank you :). file ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to add length of matching characters between field in file

The awk below produces the current output, which will add +1 to $3. However, I am trying to add the length of the matching characters between $5 and $6 to $3. I have tried using sub as a variable to store the length but am not able to do so correctly. I added comments to each line and the... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)