Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users best method to compare 2 big files in unix Post 302488254 by Corona688 on Sunday 16th of January 2011 10:38:08 AM
Old 01-16-2011
Sorting is probably going to be the biggest overhead by far, and I don't see a way to avoid it...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare big real numbers

Hi everyone, I need to compare 2 big Floating/Real numbers in a script. After the comparission it is showing worng values in my script. echo "Enter value1" read value1 echo "Enter value2" read value2 Result=`echo "if($value1 > $value2) 1" | bc` if ; then echo "$value1 is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padarthy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX; Compare two files

Hi Guys, Requirement: Want to compare two files, if the the content of both files is same then show "Good result" else Show "Bad Result" I am using the following logic if( cmp -s a b = 0 ) then echo "Good result" else echo "Bad result" exit 0 fi But this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhishek3598
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Compare Files

Hi, I need to compare 2 files based on the first field in each file and output the differences to a new file. example File 1 and File 2 both have first field as Number ie: File 1 1252652355 1859553322 1778899562 File 2 1252652355 1859553322 So I would expect File 3 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lagre1
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i unix compare two files??

how can i unix compare two files?? var1 = 6499 7328 6351 7583 7573 var2 = 6499 7328 6351 7583 7777 i did: diff $var1 $var2 and i got the output: 1c1 < 6499 7328 6351 7583 7573 --- > 6499 7328 6351 7583 7777 what can i do with it? and what does it tell me?? how can i knoe that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnir26
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to compare two files using UNIX?

I have two files which have primary key(s) for each row. I need to compare both the files and produce the output in the following format. Primary key(s),file1 value,file2 value. Both the input files will be comma separated files. I have accomplished this using perl, but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpsridhar
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files in unix

Hi Gurus I need your kind help sorting the below query I have two text files File1.txt ID Name Address 101 Srinath BBB 102 Sidharth CCC File2.txt ID Name Address 102 Siddharth DDD 103 Suman EEE Now the requirement is if the second file has... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files in UNIX

Hi, I have two files File1 Contents: abc dcf sdc File2 Contents: dcf sdc erg Now my program should return the contents existing in File1 but not in File2. In this case output shoud be "abc" as abc is not available in File 2. It should not return "erg" by saying it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and merge two big CSV files

Hi all, i need help. I have two csv files with a huge amount of data. I need the first column of the first file, to be compared with the data of the second, to have at the end a file with the data not present in the second file. Example File1: (only one column) profile_id 57036226... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirMannu
11 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)