Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help parsing job script input parameters Post 302488142 by jclanc8 on Saturday 15th of January 2011 10:44:02 AM
Old 01-15-2011
Help parsing job script input parameters

I have a job script that runs with input parms from the command line.
Code:
job.sh -p parm1_parm2_parm3_parm4_file_1.dat

The parms are separated by _

The last parm is a file name and can have an _ in the name.

I currently use the following commands to extract the parms
Code:
parm1=`eval echo \$JOBPARM|awk -F_ '{print $1}'`
parm2=`eval echo \$JOBPARM|awk -F_ '{print $2}'`
parm3=`eval echo \$JOBPARM|awk -F_ '{print $3}'`
parm4=`eval echo \$JOBPARM|awk -F_ '{print $4}'`

How do I get the 5th parm and include the _, if one exists, so that

parm5 = file_1.dat.

thanks

Last edited by Scott; 01-15-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Parameters

How do you pass parameters over to another script and run the receiving script? . Here is an example of what I am talking about. for x in `cat Allx` do su myaccount -c "/temp/scripts/temp_script $x" > /dev/null 2>$1 $ done I was expecting the tem_script to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing input paramter in a script

Hi folks I am having a little trouble in parsing a variable read into a ksh script I have a bunch of variables passed into script test.ksh HOST SERVER JOB1 JOB2 JOB3 JOB4 JOB5 What I want to do is read all the $JOB variables ($JOB1, $JOB2, $JOB3) into a variable and then read that variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anubhav
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing parameters

Hi:- I need to parse a script 3 parameters (file, subject and email address). This is what I currently have: allargs=$* argcount=`echo $allargs | awk -F: '{ print NF }' ` # Total Number of arguments pdffile=`echo $allargs | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' ` # PDF/binary file to be encoded... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: janet
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

DB2 stored procedure (with input parameters) from script

I have a db2 stored procedure on my database which require 3 parameters, I have the following db2 command in a sql script CONNECT TO SAMPLE; CALL BACKUP(INPUT_1, INPUT_2, INPUT3); Usually, I would just invoke this sql script from my shell script like below db2 -tf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input parameters

I have a script which take 3 input parameters 1st - a date (i.e. current date) 2nd - type (i.e. A) 3rd - limit (i.e. 40) normally the date parameter would be current date, so I thought I could do this calculate.sh $(date +%Y-%m-%d) A 40 however, it seems like it can't be done,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Input Parameters using Shell Script

i have this basic code that accepts for two input one for the source file and the other is for the target directory. basically it is a simple copy command. the problem is at the end of the execution the second parameter string was passed to first parameter and it displays a message like: cp:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters from a script to a datastage job

We have a requirement as follows. We have created a datastage job that will be doing the select operation from table (select query from a table). The datastage job is being invoked by a unix shell script(ksh). We are passing the "table name (STUD_DETAILS)" and a "where clause condition... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

9. Programming

Value changed when parsing parameters

I get a strange problem here, and ask for help. (gdb) 28 set_file_bit( file, bytePos, bitPos, argv ); (gdb) p argv $3 = 0xbfffef5c "00" (gdb) s set_file_bit (file=0x804b008, bytePos=2, bitPos=2, binary=0x80490e5 "11") at util/file.c:112 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Safely parsing parameters

I have a string like root=/dev/sda3 noacpi foo "Baz mumble" which I would like to separate into tokens like a shell does. This would be easily done with eval but that would open a security hole big enough to drop a cow through, injecting arbitrary code would be easy as pie. How can I parse this... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
15 Replies
MKCOVER(8C)															       MKCOVER(8C)

NAME
mkcover - HylaFAX continuation cover page generation command SYNOPSIS
/var/spool/fax/bin/mkcover qfile template result DESCRIPTION
bin/mkcover is the command invoked by the facsimile server when a continuation cover page is required for an outbound job that is about to be retried. It generates a single POSTSCRIPT(R) page that is imaged according to the remote capabilities and transmitted as the cover page. The arguments are: qfile the job description file for the outbound job. template the cover page template file, as used by the faxcover(1) program. result the filename where the resultant POSTSCRIPT document should be written. The default mkcover command is a shell script that uses awk(1) to parse the job description file and generate the cover page document. The template file may be optionally compressed with compress(1), pack(1), or gzip(1); the filename suffix is used to decide whether or not the template file contains compressed data. SEE ALSO
faxq(8C), hylafax-config(5F), sendq(5F) June 20, 1994 MKCOVER(8C)