Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A puzzle with a printing function executing in background Post 302488113 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 15th of January 2011 05:27:23 AM
Old 01-15-2011
Nonethelesss I seems to me that is what accounted for the difference in the number of enters needed. If I put the assignment to STOP in the proper place before the calling of "barre" then both scripts need two keystrokes to finish....

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-15-2011 at 06:35 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

want to run a function in background

consider the given prg. main() { ..... function1(); /* to write into a file or log */ printf(" "); ..... } when the control reaches function1(), it should get executed in the background.At the same time main's printf(" ") statement should also get executed.i.e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question about the PID of a background function

Dear all, I'm writing a KornShell script that calls inside it a function in background mode #!/bin/ksh function myfunction { . . .} myfunction |& . . . How can I capture the PID of the function myfunction that runs in background? Thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a sequence of commands as a single background process

I'm writing a PHP script which will take a given media file and convert it into a flash (flv) file. In addition to this, once the flv file has been generated I create two thumbnails (of different sizes) from the newly generated flv file. In order to do this I'm calling ffmpeg from the command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phatphug
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing messages on the screen when background process is going on!

hello all, In my script i have written some messages which should come in screen while some background process is going on.. Like for example: if i want to add 2 numbers a and b ...when the addition is going on in the background i should get "ADDING TWO NUMBERS>>PLEASE WAIT " message on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
3 Replies

5. AIX

Command executing to be in the background !

Guys I'm working to make in AIX script and I have some commands need to be excited by that script Like the below commands ... startsrc -s sshd I want that executing to be in the background of the system I do not like to see the out put of that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stopped(sigttou) error while executing a script in background

Hi All, I have an issue where in when i execute a script in the background using '&', it exits with stopped(SIGTTOU) signal. There are two servers, where the Compute server is HP-Unix and Data server is Linux. I tried using the "stty - tostop" command to disable the SIGTTOU for background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vmenon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a function in background and then suspend it

Here is some back ground on the script. The script is to poll an arbitrary number of DB's. To do this I am creating a function that takes the file_path to the DB and the min poll interval as arguments. The function will be called for each DB and then ran in the background. The function I was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandavison
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a background script using ssh keys

Greetings, i've been working with a user-friendly menu on ksh to allow users execute scripts located on a remote server, so they wont have to login and manually launch those scripts every single time. This is a HP-UX box and currently on a /usr/bin/ksh shell. I've setup ssh keys on both... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbriozzo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on awk for printing the function name inside each function

Hi, I am having script which contains many functions. Need to print each function name at the starting of the function. Like below, functionname() { echo "functionname" commands.... } I've tried like below, func=`grep "()" scriptname | cut -d "(" -f1` for i in $func do nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies
ADSL-STOP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      ADSL-STOP(8)

NAME
adsl-stop - Shell script to shut down a PPPoE link SYNOPSIS
adsl-stop [config_file] DESCRIPTION
adsl-stop is a shell script which stops the Roaring Penguin user-space PPPoE client. If you omit config_file, the default file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 is used. AUTHOR
adsl-stop was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), adsl-start(8), adsl-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), adsl-setup(8), adsl-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-relay(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 ADSL-STOP(8)