Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Import zpool with missing slog device Post 302488024 by doublemeat on Friday 14th of January 2011 02:44:47 PM
Old 01-14-2011
I have the same problem. I accidentally overwrote the drive with ZIL when upgrading from OpenSolaris 2009.11, to Solaris 11 Express (151a). Now I can't import the pool, even with the -m option (which documentation explicitly says it to do just that).

Sorry I don't have an answer for you (yet), but your effort - and more specifically your post - has at least save ME from potentially weeks of hair-pulling similar to what you have done.

I love the IDEA of ZFS, but in truth I have seen a significant "negative" benefit over the years of using it. I.E., loss of data. Solaris is so damn fickle and exceptionally fragile (as an operating system...and as I'm learning, ZFS is too). I mean, come on! The whole idea of an separate ZIL was to improve performance...and hopefully not at the expense of reliability! From now on, I will be disabling the ZIL altogether. (And the moment btrfs is production-ready on Linux, will migrate everything to that in a heartbeat.)

Who would have thought that losing the ZIL would render all of your data useless!?? Talk about unnecessary additional points of failure. (Even if mirrored...still an additional point of failure.) This risk, IMO, vastly outweighs the risk of asynchronous IO, unless you are running something that explicitly (i.e. documented) requires synchronous IO such as apps/databases that life and/or lots of $ depends on.

Anyway. I'm going to try to import via Linuz/ZFS-FUSE. If that fails I'll have to try to reconstruct the data via sporadic offline backups. I'll keep ya posted.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hpux vg accessible but device files missing!

Hi all, I am looking at a MC cluster comprised of 2 nodes. There is a package named backup which does nothing more than mount a VG. At one point we noticed errors in syslog that look like this: cmclconfd: Could not access device file /dev/dsk/c20t0d0: No such file or directory There are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mariusp
1 Replies

2. Solaris

zones: Use a zpool or mount as a raw device?

Hi, I need to create 4 zones. I have an array with a RAID5 volume. I have exported 4 LUNS from the array. Now my host see the 4 LUNS as raw devices. I am partitioning each LUN using format then mounting each slice on the global zone. Then I am using each slice as a file system for my non... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Cdrom device possibly missing?

Hello, I am following the HPUX 11.31 install/update guide and I am trying to install "Update-UX" from the installation media. I put the CD into the drive, and I am trying to mount the device. The instructions state:Find the DVD-ROM device file name: ioscan -C disk -f -n -k | more A typical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Zpool device weirdness

Weird duplicate device in one of my nested raidz1s - device is shown as both online and unavailable, with a hot spare showing up as degraded as well. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? root@storage# zpool status tank pool: tank state: DEGRADED status: One or more devices are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DoohanMcGirk
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Zpool import/export error

A backup/clone script of ours was recently ran. It normally only clones the rpool and renames in rpoolA. Something must've changed as it found another one of our pools that it shouldn't have. It exported that pool unbeknownst to us. Later on when a coworker realized the other pool was missing he... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beantownmp
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

8. Solaris

How to clear a removed single-disk pool from being listed by zpool import?

On an OmniOS server, I removed a single-disk pool I was using for testing. Now, when I run zpool import it will show it as FAULTED, since that single disk not available anymore. # zpool import pool: fido id: 7452075738474086658 state: FAULTED status: The pool was last... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyadarshan
11 Replies
FSSCONFIG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      FSSCONFIG(8)

NAME
fssconfig -- configure file system snapshot devices SYNOPSIS
fssconfig [-cxv] device path backup [cluster [size]] fssconfig -u [-v] device fssconfig -l [-v] [device] DESCRIPTION
The fssconfig command configures file system snapshot pseudo disk devices. It will associate the file system snapshot disk device with a snapshot of path allowing the latter to be accessed as though it were a disk. If backup resides on the snapshotted file system a persistent snapshot will be created. This snapshot is active until backup is unlinked. This snapshot mode is only supported for ffs files systems. Otherwise data written through the path will be saved in backup. If backup is a regular file, it will be created with length size. Default size is the size of path. Data is saved to backup in units of cluster bytes. Options indicate an action to be performed: -c Configures the device. If successful, references to device will access the contents of path at the time the snapshot was taken. If backup is a directory, a temporary file will be created in this directory. This file will be unlinked on exit. -l List the snapshot devices and indicate which ones are in use. If a specific device is given, then only that will be described. -u Unconfigures the device. -v Be more verbose listing the snapshot devices. -x Unlink backup after the device is configured. If no action option is given, -c is assumed. FILES
/dev/rfss? /dev/fss? EXAMPLES
fssconfig fss0 /usr /tmp/back Configures the snapshot device fss0 for a snapshot of the /usr file system. Data written through /usr will be backed up in /tmp/back. fssconfig fss1 / /dev/rsd0e 8192 Configures the snapshot device fss1 for a snapshot of the / file system. Data written through / will be backed up in /dev/rsd0e. The backup will take place in units of 8192 bytes. fssconfig -u fss0 Unconfigures the fss0 device. SEE ALSO
opendisk(3), fss(4), mount(8), umount(8) HISTORY
The fssconfig command appeared in NetBSD 2.0. BSD
June 11, 2012 BSD