Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace prefix and suffix of a string Post 302488006 by selvaya on Friday 14th of January 2011 12:37:28 PM
Old 01-14-2011
Replace prefix and suffix of a string

Hi, I'm new about shell scripting, and I need to do something like

abcd **1234** efgh

by

abcd '''1234''' efgh

I know that command sed helps about change one string by another, but I dont know how to keep whatever is inside **_** and replace * with '.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut prefix from a string?

Hi folks, I have the following parameter setting: export ADMIN_HOST_NAME=http://hostname.com I want to define a new parameter,ADMIN_HOST_NAME_NEW,which based on $ADMIN_HOST_NAME but I need to remove the prefix "http://". The requested result for $ADMIN_HOST_NAME_NEW is hostname.com How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace a . with / which is having a matching Prefix

Hi Input File: export NAME='AA.BB.CC' export FILE=1.2.3 AA.BB.CC export MAIL= '1.3.3' export char='XX.YY.ZZ' Out File export NAME='AA/BB/CC' export FILE=1.2.3 AA.BB.CC export MAIL= '1.3.3' export char='XX/YY/ZZ' Only the Lines which have export and have alphabets after =... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prefix a string to the contents of a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to create a temporary file by prefixing a string of special characters to each row of a input file. the input file is '|' delimited. here is the content of input file aaa|1234|axad|123 bbb|qwqw|qw|1334 the output should be ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

prefix suffix to each argument

Hi, I have a variable, which contains comma separated values. Something like. StringA="abc,def,ghi,jkl" I want to apply prefix and suffix to each value in the string without using any loops. Say if Prefix is Pre_ and Suffix is _Suf then I need to get ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cut prefix from a string

I have a file: chromosome1:436728 chromosome2:32892 ..... chromosome22:23781 I just want to get the number, not the prefix "chromosomeX", so I want to remove all the prefix ahead of the numbers. How can I do that?? Thanks!!! (PS: give me some very simple command so that I can understand... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUERY_STRING with multiples appearances of the same string prefix

I have a shell script and it works pretty well to pull out the query_string contents of a single instance of router= But if I have multiple router= strings, it only pulls out the last one. Is there a way to pull out every router= and if there is a multple string, to egrep them together... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: numele
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK adding prefix/suffix to list of strings

75 103 131 133 138 183 197 221 232 234 248 256 286 342 368 389 463 499 524 538 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing only Prefix string (!)

Hello everyone, I want to remove only prefix ME_ from all the values that are present in the FILEA. Below code I'm using for this. sed 's/ME\_//g' FILEA > FILEB Using the above code, all ME_ values are getting removed from the file. But the problem here is I want to remove only Prefix ME_... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ed_9
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Prefix/Suffix on same file

Hi, I want to add prefix and suffix on line# 205 using SED or AWK and want to change on the same file without creating new file. This command will be used in the bash script Am using Bash shell Regards Nayaj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayaj
3 Replies
UPSC(8) 							    NUT Manual								   UPSC(8)

NAME
upsc - example lightweight UPS client SYNOPSIS
upsc -l | -L [host] upsc ups [variable] upsc -c ups DESCRIPTION
upsc is provided as a quick way to poll the status of a UPS server. It can be used inside shell scripts and other programs that need UPS data but don't want to include the full interface. OPTIONS
-l host List all UPS names configured at host, one name per line. The hostname defaults to "localhost". You may optionally add a colon and a port number. -L host As above, list all UPS names configured at host, including their description provided by the remote upsd(8) from ups.conf(5). The hostname defaults to "localhost". You may optionally add a colon and a port number to override the default port. -c ups Lists each client connected on ups, one name per line. ups Display the status of that UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". variable Display the value of this variable only. By default, upsc retrieves the list of variables from the server and then displays the value for each. This may be useful in shell scripts to save an additional pipe into grep. EXAMPLES
To list all variables on an UPS named "myups" on a host called "mybox", with upsd(8) running on port 1234: $ upsc myups@mybox:1234 battery.charge: 100.0 battery.voltage: 13.9 battery.voltage.nominal: 13.6 . . . To list the UPSes configured on this system, along with their descriptions: $ upsc -L apc: Back-UPS 500 ppro2: Patriot Pro II To retrieve the status for all UPSes connected to mybox, using Bourne-shell syntax: $ for UPS in `upsc -l mybox:1234`; do upsc $UPS ups.status done To list clients connected on "myups": $ upsc -c myups 127.0.0.1 ::1 192.168.1.2 DIAGNOSTICS
upsc will either print a list of UPS names, a list of all supported variables and their values on the UPS, or an error message. If you receive an error, make sure you have specified a valid UPS on the command line, that upsd(8) is really running on the other host and that no firewalls are blocking you. HISTORY
Earlier versions of this program used the upsfetch library and UDP sockets to talk to upsd. This version of upsc uses the new upsclient library, which only talks TCP. This is why upsct no longer exists. SEE ALSO
upsd(8) INTERNET RESOURCES
The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSC(8)