Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing Parameter containing space in between to Shell Script Post 302487906 by anurag.singh on Friday 14th of January 2011 04:43:18 AM
Old 01-14-2011
Execute script as:
Code:
a.sh 20110114 "b c d"

And pass 2nd argument in quotes to sql proc:
Code:
<sql_proc> "$2"

But not very sure about sql procedure. If above doesn't work, then you may do following:
remove spaces from your input(replace space with some character say underscore, or something else which should be part of real value)
Then pass your modified argument (without space) to sql procedure.
Then in sql proc, read this value and convert underscore back to space.
Like:
Code:
var=$(echo "$2" | sed "s/ /_/g")

Now pass $var to sql proc (And conver _ back to space in sql proc)

Last edited by anurag.singh; 01-14-2011 at 05:50 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to anurag.singh For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameter from Shell-script to Sql-script

Dear Friends, Please help me to achieve the following: I want to pass one parameter from Shell-script to Sql-script. Example: My ShellScript.sh is calling report.sql like this: /bin/sqlplus /reports.sql And My report.sql is calling many Stored-Procedures like this: exec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: subodhbansal
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameter 4m shell script to a DB stored procedure

hi all please tell me how to pass parameters 4m shell script to a DataBase stored procedure. To be specific i have sybase DB. i mean i want the syntax of the command.. how to connect to DB, pass user id and password, pass the required parameter to SP.. .. need ur help frnds.. hema (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hema2026
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter from one file to shell script

Hi All, I have a 2 files. File1 i am generating using an ETL tool, which is a comman seperated delimited file which contains country code & load date. everytime, this country code will be updated from a table. It might be AB or BA & ld_date will be for which date we need to load the file. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

4. AIX

Passing a parameter to a shell script?

I would like to run a compress script on files in certain directories. My compress_script.sh is just basically compress file* In order for me to use this I have to copy it into each directory and run it. How can I state the directory on the command line with the compress script so it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

5. SCO

Parameter passing to dot shell script

OS SCO Open Server 6.0 MP4 I am trying to change the value of a enviornment variable thru a script and want to pass a parameter on the commande line, If I hard code the value inside the script the script changes the enviornment variable . mytest where my test is MYVAR=$1 export MYVAR... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atish0
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string as a input parameter for a shell script

Hi i have a shell script which needs a string as an input parameter. How to pass the string param as an input? In command line am running the script. for e.g., a="who is a buddy?" sh sample.sh $a Inside the script i get this input param as $1 but only the value "who" is accepted... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to script, and split the parameter

i am passing input parameter 'one_two' to the script , the script output should display the result as below one_1two one_2two one_3two if then echo " Usage : <$0> <DATABASE> " exit 0 else for DB in 1 2 3 do DBname=`$DATABASE | awk -F "_" '{print $1_${DB}_$2}` done fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a parameter from a shell script to sqlplus

Hi All, I'm new to Linux and scripting, apologies in advance for 'stupid' questions. Please help... Im writing a script that calls a sqlplus script but the sqlplus requires inputs and i cant seem to get this to work. here is my code. #!/bin/sh TERM=vt100 export TERM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahomed
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing shell script parameter value to awk command in side the script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sarita Behera
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter with single quote to shell script

Hello All, I am trying below +++++++++ #/bin/bash set -x Host=$1 Port=$2 User=$3 Pass=$4 Warning=$5 Critical=$6 SCRIPT_LOC=/opt/agent/ Parameters="'""hostname=$Host&""port=$Port&""username=$User&""password=$Pass&""jvm=UsedMemory,$Warning,$Critical""'" echo $Parameters... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundari127
10 Replies
GETOPT(3)								 1								 GETOPT(3)

getopt - Gets options from the command line argument list

SYNOPSIS
array getopt (string $options, [array $longopts]) DESCRIPTION
Parses options passed to the script. PARAMETERS
o $options - Each character in this string will be used as option characters and matched against options passed to the script starting with a single hyphen ( -). For example, an option string "x" recognizes an option -x. Only a-z, A-Z and 0-9 are allowed. o $longopts - An array of options. Each element in this array will be used as option strings and matched against options passed to the script starting with two hyphens ( --). For example, an longopts element "opt" recognizes an option --opt. The $options parameter may contain the following elements: oIndividual characters (do not accept values) oCharacters followed by a colon (parameter requires value) oCharacters followed by two colons (optional value) Option values are the first argument after the string. If a value is required, it does not matter whether the value has leading white space or not. See note. Note Optional values do not accept " " (space) as a separator. Note The format for the $options and $longopts is almost the same, the only difference is that $longopts takes an array of options (where each element is the option) whereas $options takes a string (where each character is the option). RETURN VALUES
This function will return an array of option / argument pairs or FALSE on failure. Note The parsing of options will end at the first non-option found, anything that follows is discarded. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Added support for "=" as argument/value separa- | | | tor. | | | | | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Added support for optional values (specified | | | with "::"). | | | | | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Parameter $longopts is available on all systems. | | | | | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function is no longer system dependent, and | | | now works on Windows, too. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 getopt(3) example: The basics <?php // Script example.php $options = getopt("f:hp:"); var_dump($options); ?> shell> php example.php -fvalue -h The above example will output: array(2) { ["f"]=> string(5) "value" ["h"]=> bool(false) } Example #2 getopt(3) example: Introducing long options <?php // Script example.php $shortopts = ""; $shortopts .= "f:"; // Required value $shortopts .= "v::"; // Optional value $shortopts .= "abc"; // These options do not accept values $longopts = array( "required:", // Required value "optional::", // Optional value "option", // No value "opt", // No value ); $options = getopt($shortopts, $longopts); var_dump($options); ?> shell> php example.php -f "value for f" -v -a --required value --optional="optional value" --option The above example will output: array(6) { ["f"]=> string(11) "value for f" ["v"]=> bool(false) ["a"]=> bool(false) ["required"]=> string(5) "value" ["optional"]=> string(14) "optional value" ["option"]=> bool(false) } Example #3 getopt(3) example: Passing multiple options as one <?php // Script example.php $options = getopt("abc"); var_dump($options); ?> shell> php example.php -aaac The above example will output: array(2) { ["a"]=> array(3) { [0]=> bool(false) [1]=> bool(false) [2]=> bool(false) } ["c"]=> bool(false) } SEE ALSO
$argv. PHP Documentation Group GETOPT(3)