Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hidden files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers hidden files Post 302487657 by siba.s.nayak on Thursday 13th of January 2011 06:17:14 AM
Old 01-13-2011
If you want to check the size of current directory incluing files and subdirectories in it, then best option is to use
Code:
du .

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hidden Files in Linux

Hi, I want to know how to create a hidden file in linux?? Regards Arun.Kakarla (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display only hidden files

how can i display only and only hidden file in the current directory. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
7 Replies

4. Programming

Listing hidden files

I'm writing a c program to list the files in a given directory but I also want to display the hidden files. I can't figure this out in c. Does anyone know how to do this? Here's the code I have so far: #include <unistd.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <dirent.h> #include <string.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hidden files

How to list out only the hidden files from a directory ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

6. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files in the current directory excluding hidden files and directories

Find all files in the current directory only excluding hidden directories and files. For the below command, though it's not deleting hidden files.. it is traversing through the hidden directories and listing normal which should be avoided. `find . \( ! -name ".*" -prune \) -mtime +${n_days}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep without Hidden files

I wanted to grep some text Recursively, without going through hidden files(.files/.folders) In my Repo there are lot of .svn folders/subfolders etc. I dont want to grep in that folders. Hidden folders can be .svn or .<anyotherfoldername> Can you give teh command whcih does it "Recursively" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naaj_ila
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
dir(5)								File Formats Manual							    dir(5)

Name
       dir - format of directories

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/dir.h>

Description
       A  directory behaves exactly like an ordinary file, except that no user may write into a directory.  The fact that a file is a directory is
       indicated by a bit in the flag word of its i-node entry.  For further information, see The structure of a directory entry is given  in  the
       include file.

A  directory  consists  of some number of blocks of DIRBLKSIZ bytes, where DIRBLKSIZ is chosen such that it can be transferred to disk in a
       single atomic operation (for example, 512 bytes on most machines).

Each DIRBLKSIZ byte block contains some number of directory entry structures, which are of variable length.  Each  directory  entry  has  a
       struct  direct at the front of it, containing its inode number, the length of the entry, and the length of the name contained in the entry.
       These are followed by the name padded to a 4-byte boundary with null bytes.  All names are guaranteed null terminated.  The maximum  length
       of a name in a directory is MAXNAMLEN.

The  macro  DIRSIZ(dp)  gives  the  amount  of  space required to represent a directory entry.  Free space in a directory is represented by
       entries which have dp->d_reclen > DIRSIZ(dp).  All DIRBLKSIZ bytes in a directory block are claimed by the directory entries.  This  action
       usually results in the last entry in a directory having a large
       dp->d_reclen.   When  entries  are  deleted  from  a  directory, the space is returned to the previous entry in the same directory block by
       increasing its dp->d_reclen.  If the first entry of directory block is free, then its dp->d_ino is set to 0.  Entries other than the  first
       in a directory do not normally have dp->d_ino set to 0.
       #ifdef KERNEL
       #define DIRBLKSIZ DEV_BSIZE
       #else
       #define	 DIRBLKSIZ 512
       #endif

#define MAXNAMLEN 255

The  DIRSIZ  macro  gives the minimum record length that will hold the directory entry.	This requires the amount of space in struct direct
       without the d_name field, plus enough space for the name with a terminating null byte (dp->d_namlen+1), rounded up to a 4-byte boundary.
       #undef DIRSIZ
       #define DIRSIZ(dp) 
	   ((sizeof (struct direct) - (MAXNAMLEN+1)) + 
	   (((dp)->d_namlen+1 + 3) &~ 3))

struct	 direct {
	    u_long    d_ino;
	    short     d_reclen;
	    short     d_namlen;
	    char d_name[MAXNAMLEN + 1];
	    /* typically shorter */
       };

struct _dirdesc {
	    int  dd_fd;
	    long dd_loc;
	    long dd_size;
	    char dd_buf[DIRBLKSIZ];
       };

By convention, the first two entries in each directory are for dot (.) and dot dot (..).  The first is an entry for the	directory  itself.
       The  second is for the parent directory.  The meaning of `..' is modified for the root directory of the master file system ("/"), where dot
       dot has the same meaning as dot.

See Also
       fs(5)

dir(5)