Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Decompress (with gunzip) recursively, but do not delete original gz file Post 302487572 by gansvv on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 11:53:13 PM
Old 01-13-2011
Lightbulb

@Methyl: I am running Ubuntu Server 10.10 and using bash.

The directory structure is like this:
/old_archive/
--/year2009/
----/001/
----/002/
----/300/
--/year2008/
----/001/
----/002/
(each of the 001/ to 300/ folders has 10+ large gz files).

Yes, currently both archive locations are on the same filesystem. BTW, the disks are setup as RAID 0.

And, the entire process takes to the order of days. Its not run often (perhaps once a month) but I like your "online" backup idea. I will try that. That brings up another interesting idea: Is there a was to parallelize the cp or mv operations? Can I break it into execution threads running simultaneously?

About the piping error I mentioned: I did not actually see any such errors. But I was wondering if sending gigabyte sized decompressed file to stdout (and piping to a file) has a chance of generating errors. Has anyone seen such problems?

Thanks for your reply!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

decompress in HPUX11 by Gunzip and gzip

Hello evrebody , I have HPUX-11, i try to install "Mozilla" and "unzip utillity" I cannot decompress file (F.tar.gz) or file(F.gz) by commandes: gunzip -dv F.tar.gz | tar -xvf gunzip F.tar.gz or gzip -dv F.tar.gz |tar -xvf gzip F.gz maybe someone know What's the reason? maybe i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanly64
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress a .SP file

Hi to all, I'm new in this forum and I just need a quick answer from the experts out there, I have a 2761.sp file, in short a ".SP" file, it was given to me compressed, and I need to decompress it before Monday. I saw a software named Splint, but it shows an error, a DMI error message, so I dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeco
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete original wav file if lame was successful encoding.

In a bash script: src=”cooltrack.wav” dst=”cooltrack.mp3” lame $src $dst I would like to add some line that would delete the source wav file like: rm $src but I would like this only if the encoding was successful. What should I include before deleting the original to check that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aia
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursively delete the text between 2 strings from a file

i have 200000bytes size of a unix file i need to delete some text between two strings recursively using a loop with sed or awk . these two strings are : 1st string getting from a file :::2 nd string is fi...its constant . can anyone help me sed -n'/<1 st string >/,/fi/' <input_filename> is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete empty directories recursively - HP-UX

Hi, I want to delete all empty directories in a long directore tree structure. I want to use that from a script that will run on HP-UX 11. My definition of empty directory is that there is no regular file under it and directly beneath it. To elaborate, I have below directories. /app/dev/java... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a duplicate line and original with sed.

I am completely new to shell scripting but have been assigned the task of creating several batch files to manipulate data. My final task requires me to find lines that have duplicates present then delete not only the duplicate but the original as well. The script will be used in a windows... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chino_1
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete original files after using a tar operation.

I have a list of log files in a directory. Once i tar them I need to remove the original log files. How do i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with : gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
2 Replies
ALE(1)																	    ALE(1)

NAME
ale - a synthetic capture engine and renderer SYNOPSIS
ale [OPTIONS] original-frame [supplemental-frames ...] output-file ale [HELP OPTIONS] ale --version DESCRIPTION
ALE is a free software synthetic capture engine and renderer accepting, as input, a sequence of image frames, and producing, as output, rendered images, registration data, and 3D models (currently experimental). EXAMPLES
ale --hu Print the help page on program usage. ale 001.ppm 002.ppm 003.ppm out.ppm Render output file out.ppm from inputs 001.ppm, 002.ppm, and 003.ppm. ale --scale 2 001.ppm 002.ppm 003.ppm out.png Render output file out.png at 2x scale. ale --perturb-upper=0 --trans-load=a.t --projective frame*.png out.png Render output file out.png from inputs frame*.png, using projective transformations as described in the file a.t. ale --3dv 0 out.png --projective frame*.png null: Render output file out.png from inputs frame*.png, using a 3D scene model to determine transformations. ale --visp last:sinc*lanc:6 sf:0 out/ .jpg in/*.jpg null: Render a video stream from files in/*.jpg to the directory out/, stabilizing to the first frame, with a lanczos-windowed sinc filter. USAGE
ale is a wrapper script that calls the executable ale-bin after extracting exposure EXIF information from image files (when the exiftool utility is available) and converting from raw formats (when the dcraw utility is available). When ale-bin has been linked with ImageMagick, input and output files may be of any kind supported by ImageMagick. Otherwise, only PPM files can be read and written by ale-bin. OPTIONS
OPTIONS are summarized via built-in help pages (see HELP OPTIONS below). More detailed manuals describing options and internal algorithms are available for certain versions of ALE. See SEE ALSO below for more details on other manuals. HELP OPTIONS
A listing of available help options can be obtained by invoking ale --hu. ENVIRONMENT
The wrapper script ale recognizes the following environment variables: ALE_BIN ALE executable to use. DCRAW dcraw raw extraction tool to use. EXIF_UTILITY EXIF extraction utility to use. ALE_COUNT_THREADS Displays statistics on thread counts when set to a non-zero value. PAGER Text pager to use (e.g., for displaying help pages). SEE ALSO
More detailed manuals for certain versions of ALE are distributed with source packages, and may also be available from: http://auricle.dyndns.org/ALE/manuals/ 03/31/2009 ALE(1)