Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert text with Sed (in various positions) Post 302487538 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 07:36:30 PM
Old 01-12-2011
Code:
sed 's/./:&/26;s/./:&/5' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Text With Sed

Hello. Trying to insert text at line 1 and after last line of file. I have searched posts but nothing seems to work. I keep getting extra characters error or nothing gets inserted into the file. #!/bin/sh touch textfile.txt sed 'i\ Add this line before every line with WORD' textfile.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveramsey
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text at particular line

I know that sed -n '12p' file will print line 12 but how might I insert text to a specified line? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: action_owl
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Commas at fixed positions

Hi I have a text file which is position delimited, i.e. Code1 Description1 Value1 Code2 Description2 Value2 etc. I want to import this file into MySQL so I want to convert the file into Comma delimited format. To do this I want to insert commas at fixed positions on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arossco
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text without newline

Hi, I use sed to insert text at beginning of a file. But sed inserts a newline after my text that I do not need. For example, I want to insert "foo" at the beginning of my file: > cat myfile This is first line. > sed -i '1i\foo' myfile > cat myfile foo This is first line. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a slash and keep text

I have: /path/to/my/fixdir/MD1234567.tar I want to have: /path/to/my/fixdir/MD/1234567.tar fixdir never changes but MD does and how many numerical digits does. I want something like: /usr/bin/sed 's/fixdir\/../fixdir\/..\//' This ends up: /path/to/my/fixdir/../1234567.tar But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text using sed

sed 's/$/TEST/g' will insert TEST at the end of each line. i want to insert TEST at column 64 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert text with sed ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone new of a solution to this problem? I need to copy a time stamp that is on a line of .text in a text file into multiple positions on the same line. I need to insert the time stamp on the same line between every occurance of the text ".pdf_.html" right after the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed; insert text two lines above match

Hi! Considering below text, how would I use sed to insert text right below the v0005-line, using the SEPARATOR-line as a pattern to search for, so two lines above the separator? I can do it right above the separator, but not 2 lines... # v0004 - Some text # v0005 - More text #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indo1144
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text between lines

Hello, I am trying to insert a section of text between lines in another text file. The new lines to be inserted are: abcd.efgh.zzzz=blah abcd.efgh.xxxx=blah Where N = 0 to 2 Original File: abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies
TABS(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TABS(1)

NAME
tabs -- set terminal tabs SYNOPSIS
tabs [-n | -a | -a2 | -c | -c2 | -c3 | -f | -p | -s | -u] [+m[n]] [-T type] tabs [-T type] [+[n]] n1[,n2,...] DESCRIPTION
The tabs utility displays a series of characters that clear the hardware terminal tab settings then initialises tab stops at specified posi- tions, and optionally adjusts the margin. In the first synopsis form, the tab stops set depend on the command line options used, and may be one of the predefined formats or at regular intervals. In the second synopsis form, tab stops are set at positions n1, n2, etc. If a position is preceded by a '+', it is relative to the previous position set. No more than 20 positions may be specified. If no tab stops are specified, the ``standard'' UNIX tab width of 8 is used. The options are as follows: -n Set a tab stop every n columns. If n is 0, the tab stops are cleared but no new ones are set. -a Assembler format (columns 1, 10, 16, 36, 72). -a2 Assembler format (columns 1, 10, 16, 40, 72). -c COBOL normal format (columns 1, 8, 12, 16, 20, 55) -c2 COBOL compact format (columns 1, 6, 10, 14, 49) -c3 COBOL compact format (columns 1, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 67). -f FORTRAN format (columns 1, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23). -p PL/1 format (columns 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 61). -s SNOBOL format (columns 1, 10, 55). -u Assembler format (columns 1, 12, 20, 44). +m[n], +[n] Set an n character left margin, or 10 if n is omitted. -T type Output escape sequence for the terminal type type. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and TERM environment variables affect the execution of tabs as described in environ(7). The -T option overrides the setting of the TERM environment variable. If neither TERM nor the -T option are present, tabs will fail. EXIT STATUS
The tabs utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
expand(1), stty(1), tput(1), unexpand(1), termcap(5) STANDARDS
The tabs utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A tabs utility appeared in PWB UNIX. This implementation was introduced in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The current termcap(5) database does not define the 'ML' (set left soft margin) capability for any terminals. BSD
May 20, 2002 BSD