Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Never touched UNIX before.. Where do I start? Post 302487218 by kknigga on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 05:38:13 PM
Old 01-11-2011
If you are already familiar with some sort of virtualization technology (VMware, Virtual Box, or whatnot), I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to set up a VM or two and give a Linux distro a whirl. VMs are just too flexible and convenient to bother with physical hardware when you are talking about throwaway systems, unless you aren't already familiar with them and then it's just one more thing to learn.

On PC hardware you're most likely going to want to play with some sort of Linux. Unicies tend to run on specialized hardware the average person isn't going to own. Though, if you really want to try honest-to-goodness Unix, you could always go with Solaris 10 x86. You could even run that in a VM.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to start using unix

this is probably the dumbest question but it must be asked: how can i go about getting into unix? what would be a good first unix system? where can i get it? how much will it cost me? what can i do with unix? i currently use a mac at home and a win2000 pro system at work, what is better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeser
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help me! I just start to learn C in Unix

Hi! I just start to learn C in Unix. I have several questions. 1. What is the different between ¡®gcc¡¯ and ¡®cc¡¯? 2. Assume I type ¡®gcc -o print.out print.c¡¯ and get an error. So I need to retype that sentence. Do I have to repeat the whole thing? Or Is there a shortcut? 3. I completed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yhosun
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to start study Unix!

hello .. I am college student and a new guy to unix. I have a simple question: what does "unix" stand for ,or just a meaningless name ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanuo
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

YO help me out with unix were do I start...

My friend told me all about this Unix program I want to know were to start out and what to do with this unix program. Really anxious to learn anything about unix.cya hope you guys read this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shinobikil
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what should i start-unix or linux

actually m interested in learning unix/linux. should i go for unix or linux and from where will i get the software for these. anyone knowing please help me. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushilgroversp
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Unix/Linux to start using?

Hi all, New to the forum and in fact Unix. I want/need to start learning Unix and am a bit confused as to which to start using/download... Could someone please kindly point me in the right direction as how to get started, there seem to be so many different versions, etc... that i'm getting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin watson
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing timestamp of a file with its touched version

Hi, I'm new to unix,I wanna know how can I compare timestamp of a file with its touched version.i.e I want to be sure if the touch command has worked properly i.e if the file has been touched then a msg should be printed saying success else failure.All this to be incurred in a script. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince258
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Finally I touched 1000.Yahooooo!!!

This, my venerable audience, is my 1000th post here. Thanks for your support and help..:b: ---Vidyadhar:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyadhar85
4 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

where to start in unix

i am new to unix.i just started learning unix on my own,could u please tell me where i can get the basic of unix. . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit243
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Last touched file by a specific program ?

i have a directory where all .csv files are available. i have 3 perl programs(ex: a.pl,b.pl,c.pl) which continuously runs every 1 minute to scan all files in that directory. now i have 2 questions 1) how can i write an app lock on that particular folder to make sure only one program will scan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbjv
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)						systemd-detect-virt					    SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)

NAME
systemd-detect-virt - Detect execution in a virtualized environment SYNOPSIS
systemd-detect-virt [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-detect-virt detects execution in a virtualized environment. It identifies the virtualization technology and can distinguish full machine virtualization from container virtualization. systemd-detect-virt exits with a return value of 0 (success) if a virtualization technology is detected, and non-zero (error) otherwise. By default, any type of virtualization is detected, and the options --container and --vm can be used to limit what types of virtualization are detected. When executed without --quiet will print a short identifier for the detected virtualization technology. The following technologies are currently identified: Table 1. Known virtualization technologies (both VM, i.e. full hardware virtualization, and container, i.e. shared kernel virtualization) +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |Type | ID | Product | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |VM | qemu | QEMU software virtualization, | | | | without KVM | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | kvm | Linux KVM kernel virtual machine, | | | | with whatever software, except | | | | Oracle Virtualbox | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | zvm | s390 z/VM | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | vmware | VMware Workstation or Server, and | | | | related products | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | microsoft | Hyper-V, also known as Viridian or | | | | Windows Server Virtualization | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | oracle | Oracle VM VirtualBox (historically | | | | marketed by innotek and Sun | | | | Microsystems), | | | | for legacy and KVM | | | | hypervisor | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | xen | Xen hypervisor (only domU, not dom0) | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | bochs | Bochs Emulator | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | uml | User-mode Linux | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | parallels | Parallels Desktop, Parallels Server | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | bhyve | bhyve, FreeBSD hypervisor | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |Container | openvz | OpenVZ/Virtuozzo | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | lxc | Linux container implementation by | | | | LXC | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | lxc-libvirt | Linux container implementation by | | | | libvirt | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | systemd-nspawn | systemd's minimal container | | | | implementation, see systemd- | | | | nspawn(1) | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | docker | Docker container manager | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | rkt | rkt app container runtime | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ If multiple virtualization solutions are used, only the "innermost" is detected and identified. That means if both machine and container virtualization are used in conjunction, only the latter will be identified (unless --vm is passed). OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -c, --container Only detects container virtualization (i.e. shared kernel virtualization). -v, --vm Only detects hardware virtualization). -r, --chroot Detect whether invoked in a chroot(2) environment. In this mode, no output is written, but the return value indicates whether the process was invoked in a chroot() environment or not. --private-users Detect whether invoked in a user namespace. In this mode, no output is written, but the return value indicates whether the process was invoked inside of a user namespace or not. See user_namespaces(7) for more information. -q, --quiet Suppress output of the virtualization technology identifier. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
If a virtualization technology is detected, 0 is returned, a non-zero code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-nspawn(1), chroot(2), namespaces(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)