Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Read/Write Data on CD/RW Disk Post 302487083 by jes1trish on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 10:01:38 AM
Old 01-11-2011
Thanx again Jim,

Our UNIX setup is a closed network so setting up a samba share unfortunately is not an option. Our staff was wondering whether there was a simple method of moving files as I've noted without exposing our network.

Again, thank you for taking time to look at our question.

V/r

Jes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I need read data from Disk,please help

Hallo, can You help me with this problem: I have Hard Disk with "SCO Server Release 5.0" and I need read the data from the disk. Know You how can I do it? I only know that the file system is ISC UNIX . I test FreeBSD, but I can not mount the disk (with error message "incorrect super block").... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fik
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. Programming

Read/Write a fairly large amount of data to a file as fast as possible

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best solution to the following problem, and I'm not yet that much experienced like you. :-) Basically I have to read a fairly large file, composed of "messages" , in order to display all of them through an user interface (made with QT). The messages that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Write byte range/chunk of data from specific location in file

I am new to Unix so will really appreciate if someone can guide me on this. What I want to do is: Step1: Read binary file - pick first 2 bytes, convert from hex to decimal. Read the next 3 bytes as well. 2 bytes will specify the number of bytes 'n' that I want to read and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kbenipel
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk read and write speed.

Being a novice user to linux i m little unaware of how would i check disk read write speed. One of my mate is suggesting to create a file using dd command and check how much time it takes to create a 30 gb file . I think this has a little sense however i would also like to take your reviews... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ?

hi all: as we know , when usb flash disk plug in and aotu mounted , the default permission of the usb flash disk is 700. that means others have no permission . the question: how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ? thanks !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnold.king
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read user input, Encrypt the data and write to file

Hi, can some one help me how to encrypt and decrypt a file. AIM: reade user input, encrypt it and save it to file. while decryption read the encrypted file decrypt it and save the output in some variable. Example: consider we have Credentials.txt file with content username: password... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a perl script to read and write the data

Hi, I have on Designdocument in that information is stored with in tabular format.I need Perlscript to read and write the datausing perl script? Regards, Ravi (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: toravi.pentaho
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a UNIX/perl script to read and write the data

Hi, I have on Designdocument in that information is stored with in tabular format.I need Perl/unix script to read and write the data using perl script? Regards, Ravi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toravi.pentaho
4 Replies
LIBSMBCLIENT(7) 							 7							   LIBSMBCLIENT(7)

NAME
libsmbclient - An extension library for browsers and that can be used as a generic browsing API. SYNOPSIS
Browser URL:.PP smb://[[[domain:]user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] [?options] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. libsmbclient is a library toolset that permits applications to manipulate CIFS/SMB network resources using many of the standards POSIX functions available for manipulating local UNIX/Linux files. It permits much more than just browsing, files can be opened and read or written, permissions changed, file times modified, attributes and ACL's can be manipulated, and so on. Of course, its functionality includes all the capabilities commonly called browsing. libsmbclient can not be used directly from the command line, instead it provides an extension of the capabilities of tools such as file managers and browsers. This man page describes the configuration options for this tool so that the user may obtain greatest utility of use. OPTIONS
What the URLs mean: smb:// Shows all workgroups or domains that are visible in the network. The behavior matches that of the Microsoft Windows Explorer. The method of locating the list of workgroups (domains also) varies depending on the setting of the context variable (context->options.browse_max_lmb_count). It is the responsibility of the application that calls this library to set this to a sensible value. This is a compile-time option. This value determines the maximum number of local master browsers to query for the list of workgroups. In order to ensure that the list is complete for those present on the network, all master browsers must be querried. If there are a large number of workgroups on the network, the time spent querying will be significant. For small networks (just a few workgroups), it is suggested to set this value to 0, instructing libsmbclient to query all local master browsers. In an environment that has many workgroups a more reasonable setting may be around 3. smb://name/ This command causes libsmbclient to perform a name look-up. If the NAME<1D> or NAME<1B> exists (workgroup name), libsmbclient will list all servers in the workgroup (or domain). Otherwise, a name look-up for the NAME<20> (machine name) will be performed, and the list of shared resources on the server will be displayed. When libsmbclient is invoked by an application it searches for a directory called .smb in the $HOME directory that is specified in the users shell environment. It then searches for a file called smb.conf which, if present, will fully over-ride the system /etc/samba/smb.conf file. If instead libsmbclient finds a file called ~/.smb/smb.conf.append, it will read the system /etc/samba/smb.conf and then append the contents of the ~/.smb/smb.conf.append to it. libsmbclient will check the users shell environment for the USER parameter and will use its value when if the user parameter was not included in the URL. PROGRAMMERS GUIDE
Watch this space for future updates. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The libsmbclient manpage page was written by John H Terpstra. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+----------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+----------------------+ |Availability | SUNWsmbar, SUNWsmbau | +--------------------+----------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+----------------------+ NOTES
Source for Samba is available on http://opensolaris.org. Samba(7) delivers the set of four SMF(5) services as can be seen from the following example: $ svcs samba wins winbind swat STATE STIME FMRI disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/samba:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/winbind:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/wins:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/swat:default where the services are: "samba" runs the smbd daemon managing the CIFS sessions "wins" runs the nmbd daemon enabling the browsing (WINS) "winbind" runs the winbindd daemon making the domain idmap "swat" Samba Web Administration Tool is a service providing access to browser-based Samba administration interface and on-line documentation. The service runs on software loopback network interface on port 901/tcp, i.e. opening "http://localhost:901/" in browser will access the SWAT service on local machine. Please note: SWAT uses HTTP Basic Authentication scheme where user name and passwords are sent over the network in clear text. In the SWAT case the user name is root. Transferring such sensitive data is advisable only on the software loopback network interface or over secure networks. Samba 3.0 01/19/2009 LIBSMBCLIENT(7)