Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bad substitution
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bad substitution Post 302486989 by Muhammad Rahiz on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 05:05:42 AM
Old 01-11-2011
thanks - that works.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Substitution

Need Help... I am getting a bad substitution error on my script on a Solaris Server. However the script has been proven to work on HPUX and Solaris servers... #!/usr/bin/sh # # Set the location of the tzupdater.jar file # JAR=/tmp/tzupdater.jar # <<<<< UPDATE THIS LINE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: D_Redd74
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array reference - bad substitution

I've created a series of arrays named as follows: row1 row2 row3 . . . row10 Each has 4 elements. I'm trying to echo the array elements out in a for loop. Here's what I have: for ((i=1;i<=10;i++)) do for ((j=1;j<=4;j++)) do eval out=${row`echo $i`} echo -n $out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swankgd
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

hi, i created a shell script having the following content: #! /usr/bin/ksh FROM="myemail@domain.com" MAILTO="someemail@domain" SUBJECT="TEST" BODY="/export/home/adshocker/body.txt" ATTACH="/export/home/adshocker/attach.prog" echo $ATTACH ATTACH_NAME="${ATTACH##*/}" echo $ATTACH_NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

Hello, In bash I can use the following: TMP=12345 MID=${TMP:1:1} the expected result is: 2 but when using KSH I'm getting a ''bad substitution" error. What is the correct syntaxin ksh? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error!

Hi All, I'm building a new shell script but i'm facing a problem with one line which is giving "bad substitution" error. Please assist script lines: #!/bin/sh printf "%s: " "Occurrence DATE (YYYYMMDD)"; read DATE shortdate=${DATE#??} o/p: ./test1: bad substitution This command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
2 Replies

6. Programming

Make: Bad Substitution

Hi, I have a make file which I try to execute, but it failed when it arrived to the line: for r in ${PIPESTATUS }; do if (($r != 0)); then exit $r; fi;done; With the Error: ""make:/bin/sh: Bad substitution"" Or the Error: "make:${PIPESTATUS[...}: Bad substitution" (Depend on the operating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadne
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution

Cant undestand :) why i have an error on line 2.it is working on my other boxes #!/bin/bash ret=$(echo Q | timeout 5 openssl s_client connect "${1`hostname`}:${2-443}" -ssl3 2> /dev/null) if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Protocol.*SSLv3'; then if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Cipher.*0000'; then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bad substitution issues.. but why?

i am trying to prepare a train and test dataset, for which i need to randomly split the data into corresponding folders (train,test).. I began on a simple script, but seem to get som weird error messages, that i cannot make sense of?.. what am I doing wrong? #!/bin/bash RED='\033] then... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution - ShellCheck says okay

ShellCheck doesn't find any issues with this script. #!/bin/bash # color_meanings: explain meanings of colors used in bash ls eval "$(echo "no:fi:di:ln:pi:so:do:bd:cd:or:mi:su:sg:tw:st:ex" | sed -e 's/:/=/g; s/\;/\n/g')" { IFS=: for i in $LS_COLORS do ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
18 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is an integer and optional unit (example: 10M is 10*1024*1024). Units are K, M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y (powers of 1024) or KB, MB, ... (powers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationpro- ject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 TRUNCATE(1)