Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to trim a string in unix shell script Post 302486950 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 12:46:53 AM
Old 01-11-2011
Code:
x="'${x##* }'"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing and trim a String through SHELL script

All I want to reverse and trim a string using UNIX shell scripts.Iam using Bourne shells. Can you help me? Thanx in advance Regards Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeepakXavier
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim leading zero in certain column in a string

I would like to know how to trim leading zero only in certain column of of a string, example: hdhshdhdhd000012mmmm0002abc <===== before hdhshdhdhd 12mmmm 2abc <===== after Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dngo
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to trim the white space around a string in C program

I am coding a C program to read a plain text file. There are a lot of blank fields or a string with white spaces. I want to know is there such a function called trim() in C to clean the white space around a string? Or some other way can do this efficiently? Thanks. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxm1303
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trim Certain field in a line of a file and replace the new string in that position

To trim 3rd field in for all the lines of a file and replace the modified string in that particular field. For example i have a file called Temp.txt having content Temp.txt ----------------- 100,234,M1234 400,234,K1734 300,345,T3456 ---------------- So the modified file output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpadhi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script to trim numeric values

Hello I am currently working on a shell script which actually needs to pull some file from a server , The filenames will have the extension with date/time stamp , i need to trim that and name it to proper format Example : xyz_20091108_22142365.gzip i need to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use trim in shell script ?

Hi, I am stuck at comparing a value from database with a space involved. Condition if (cust_code != "RAMK" && cust_code != "LML") { xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx } the cust_code is from a table and generally has 4 chars...so in the case of LML it comes with default space at the end. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TRIM a string in shell script

HI, I have a string "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" I want to get the string before -1 ie "NZ-deploy-mode" Input is "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" expected output is "NZ-deploy-mode" How can I do that in shell script? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim String

Hi, I wish to grep everything before the last "/bin" in the following string /opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07/bin/IA64N/java Desired output: "/opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07" Kindly help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script to search a string in a file

Hi folks, I am new for shell script, I hope somebody to help me to write shell script My requirement is below steps 1. I have apache access.log i.e located in /var/log/httpd/ Ex. 127.0.0.1 - - "GET... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
14 Replies
basename(1)						      General Commands Manual						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - extract portions of path names SYNOPSIS
string [suffix] [string] DESCRIPTION
deletes any prefix ending in and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the standard output. If string consists entirely of slash characters, string is set to a single slash character. If there are any trailing slash characters in string, they are removed. If the suffix operand is present but not identical to the characters remaining in string, but it is identical to a suf- fix of the characters remaining in string, the suffix is removed from string. is normally used inside command substitution marks within shell procedures. delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. If string does not contain a directory component, returns indicating the cur- rent working directory. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of string and, in the case of basename, suffix as single and/or multi-byte characters. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, and behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following shell script, invoked with the argument compiles the named file and moves the output to a file named in the current direc- tory: The following example sets the shell variable to RETURN VALUE
and return one of the following values: Successful completion. Incorrect number of command-line arguments. SEE ALSO
expr(1), sh(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
basename(1)