Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read Embedded Newline characters with read (builtin) in KSH93 Post 302486913 by Chubler_XL on Monday 10th of January 2011 05:44:34 PM
Old 01-10-2011
read -r in ksh93 will leave the \n as they are. You can then use echo (or printf) to translate them to the correct character:

Code:
$ echo 'Programmer\\ntest' | read -r line rest
$ set | grep line                             
line='Programmer\ntest'
$ line=$(echo $line)
$ set | grep line
line=$'Programmer\ntest'

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 01-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: typos
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters then read the file without changing it

Hi All At the moment the following code works but ideally i do not want to have to change the original $1 tr "\r" "\n" < "$1" > "$1.fix" printf "\n" >> "$1.fix" mv "$1.fix" "$1" FILE=$1 coffee_out="splitmovie" coffee_fill="-splitAt" coffee_end="-self-contained -o output.mov $2"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babajuma
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Embedded Newline from Delimited File

Hey there - a bit of background on what I'm trying to accomplish, first off. I am trying to load the data from a pipe delimited file into a database. The loading tool that I use cannot handle embedded newline characters within a field, so I need to scrub them out. Solutions that I have tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbetteridge
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text from a file between two characters..

I have a requirement where i have to read from a .sh file a text lying bet characters like 'SELECT' & ';'...Please help me out in this. I am new to shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh93 newline character problem

Hi , I am working on Linux, with ksh93 installed. The following statement echo \\n just prints \n on this shell. However on pdksh echo \\n gives a blank new line as a output. What is the correct way of printing a new line character on the ksh93? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
4 Replies

5. Programming

How to make gl_get_line read unicode characters

Hi, My program uses gl_get_line from libtecla to get user input from terminal. It works fine as long as I enter English at the terminal prompt. However, if I enter other languages, such as Chinese characters, either by typing in or cut-and-paste, the input characters get cleared from terminal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read multi line characters in a single column

Hi, I have file in which fields are pipe (|) separated and the record separator is new line (\n). But sometime I am getting a field value which is spread across multiple line. Basically I am getting a file from another system in the below format and needs to process the file and load data into a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
3 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Read last 7 characters from line ?

I have a txt like this: 638.301 (0.00973985) @ 50+55 the thing I want to do is read the last seven characters from the end of the first line. how do I do this ? Thanks in advance and sorry for being DOS only here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Characters in a single read

Hi, I have the file which has the data : accctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaac cctaacccaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaacccc taaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaacctaaccctaaccctaaccctaa ccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaaccctaacccctaaccctaaccctaaa... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivn786
24 Replies

9. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

10. Programming

Read in numbers from console won't stop at newline.

Hello, I have snippet code from Lippman's <<C++ primer>>. The program is to convert regular decimal (0 ~ 15) numbers to basic hexdecimals. The instruction tells the program will execute by hitting newline at the end. When I tried to run the compiled program, hitting ENTER did not work as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)