Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support /var/log/wtmp SuSE log permission rollback Post 302486881 by kalaso on Monday 10th of January 2011 02:36:18 PM
Old 01-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
Before you get your wish, make sure you will enjoy it! Maybe some process of a user in the file's current group is logging in it?

Which users are in the file's group?

Can you change the file's group to one with no members?

Sometimes, it is easier to add your own chmod to the end of the boot scripts, so the exposure is momentary and before users become active.
There is nobody in the utmp group.

Yes there is easier to add line to the boot scripts, but I would like to find which line have been change the argumentum again and again. I have the solution, but I have not found the cause Smilie

On RedHat in the sysinit file there is a line:

chmod 664 /var/log/wtmp, but I would like to found a same on SuSE :S

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

changing wtmp ownership and permission

Hi, I am using redhat AS 3. Recently, I was asked to implement a security control on the OS: to change ownership of /var/log/wtmp to root:sys and permission to 600. However, when I made the change and reboot the machine, everything was reverted. How come? Please help. The following is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: voa2mp3
1 Replies

2. AIX

Impacts of emptying /var/adm/wtmp file ?

In our operating procedures, if a workstation has a space problem in the /var filesystem, one of the most frequent case we were told is the size of the /var/adm/wtmp file. Someone once told me it is dangerous to do this. Is it ? I cannot say for certain that whomever wrote that procedure is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

4. AIX

/var/adm/wtmp - few entries & huge size.

Hi all. I have a strange case on one of my AIX boxes. /var/adm/wtmp on server01 is ~ 400MB large but it only has ~1200 lines. For example on server02 there are ~85000 lines and the file is ~158MB large. I check lines through 'last | wc -l'. But when I check line directly with 'wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robroy
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

8. SuSE

Non root user want to see /var/log/messages - any suse equivalent of Solaris dmesg

Hi New to Suse - mainly used Solaris. In solaris dmesg will also show you contents of messages log file but in Suse Liux it doesnt appear to. I dont have root access to this Suse server, and wondering is there any other tool / utility that allows me to see the messages file contents like on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
GSHADOW(5)                                                 File Formats and Conversions                                                 GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)