Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamically modify data in file? Post 302486822 by rushyang on Monday 10th of January 2011 11:01:24 AM
Old 01-10-2011
No.. Exams.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please repost in the Homework forum as suggested. Thanks.

Last edited by Scott; 01-10-2011 at 12:10 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically linked file

Hi friends , how do i view a dynamically linked file in unix ? its there on other system and do i have to ftp it in ASCII format or binary ? and after the ftp how do i view it ? thanks in advance veeras (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dynamically linked file

Hi friends, i have a dynamically linked file on my solaris system.this is script that runs regularly. How can i read the contents of that ? when i tried to say "vi filename " then it says executable and nothing is seen. Please help. thanks in advance Veera (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting the file dynamically

i am creating the file , when this file reaches the size 2 GB, i need one message or fire (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to dynamically create a file

I'm trying to write a script that generates a file of varying size filled with random text and am having some difficulties. The major problems are that I'm limited to csh and a lot of the systems I have to run this on don't have a /dev/random (so a wrapper around the dd if=/dev/random or dd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: stareja
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify log files to get uniq data

Hello, I have a log file that has following output as below. LAP.sun5 CC LAP.sun5 CQ perl.sun5 CC perl.sun5 CQ TSLogger.sun5 CC TSLogger.sun5 CQ TSLogger.sun5 KR WAS.sun5 CC WAS.sun5 MT WAS.sun5 CQ I want to output to be in the way below, i tried using awk but could not do it. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from .csv file through shell script & modify

I need to read data from a file called "test.csv" through shell script where the file contains values like name,price,descriptor etc. There are rows where descriptor (& in some rows name) are written as string & other characters like "car_+" OR "bike*" etc where it should contains strings like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Dynamically Extract file content based on Parameters from a pdf file

Hi Guru's, I am new to shell scripting. I have a unique requirement: The system generates a single pdf(/tmp/ABC.pdf) file with Invoices for Multiple Customers, the format is something like this: Page1 >> Customer 1 >>Invoice1 + invoice 2 >> Page1 end Page2 >> Customer 2 >>Invoice 3 + Invoice 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DIps
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically creating file names from portions of another file name

Not sure how to do the following, but any help would be appreciated. Has to be done using C shell (sorry about that). I have about 300 files that I need this done for, but I am only going to give one example. I will just need to know how to execute your solution through some type of loop to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I modify my script to include or substitute missing data?

Let me start off by saying I am a self taught sometimes scripter so what you will see below won't be pretty. I have created a script to parse through a file with a large amount of data and simply pull out what I need. In doing this I create several files and then paste them together in order to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify Column Data using Shell Script

HI Guys, Input :- P081 wr1 12p0d5: 22.8 P081 wr1 12p2d18: 23.1 P149 wr1 1pxcud6/port_0_dev_7: 20.4 P149 wr1 1pxcud4/port_1_dev_10: 22.4 OutputP081 wr1 120 22.8 P081 wr1 122 23.1 P149 wr1 10 20.4 P149 wr1 11 22.4 In in First two line delete p and after d untill : In Last two line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
4 Replies
MOD-ACTIVE(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						     MOD-ACTIVE(8)

NAME
mod-active - Batch processing of newsgroups creation and removal commands SYNOPSIS
mod-active [ctlinnd-command-file ...] DESCRIPTION
mod-active is a Perl script that updates the active file based on its input lines of ctlinnd "newgroup", "rmgroup" and "changegroup" commands. It pauses the server briefly while the existing active file is read and rewritten, which not only keeps innd from updating the active file but also locks against other instances of mod-active. The script must be run as the news user. The input to mod-active can come either from one or more ctlinnd-command-file files named on the command line, or from the standard input. Typically its input is the output from the docheckgroups or actsync commands. Every line which contains the string "ctlinnd newgroup", "ctlinnd rmgroup", or "ctlinnd changegroup", optionally preceded by whitespace and/or the path to ctlinnd, is noted for the update. Redundant commands, such as a newgroup directive for a group that already exists, are silently ignored. All other lines in the input are also silently ignored. After the new active file has been generated, the existing one is renamed to active.old and the new one is moved into place. The script then displays the differences between the two files. Any groups that were added to the active file are also added to the active.times file with the string "checkgroups-update". Please note that no syntax checking is performed on group names by mod-active. BUGS
Though innd is paused while mod-active works, it is not inconceivable that there could be a conflict if something else tries to update the active file during the relatively short time that mod-active is working. The two most realistic ways for this to happen are either by an administrator concurrently doing a manual ctlinnd command, or by innd receiving a control message, then mod-active pausing the server, then the control message handler script that innd forked running its own ctlinnd command while mod-active is working. Note that such scenarios are very unlikely to happen. HISTORY
Written by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. SEE ALSO
active(5), active.times(5), actsync(8), ctlinnd(8), docheckgroups(8), innd(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 MOD-ACTIVE(8)