Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing variable to Expression in back ticks. Post 302486661 by jisha on Sunday 9th of January 2011 10:44:56 PM
Old 01-09-2011
CPU & Memory Passing variable to Expression in back ticks.

Hi,

In my perl script I want to check whether *.csv files exist and take the count .
Below is the code:

Code:
$path = “/home/usr/jan/myfiles”
my $File_Count = `ls *.csv | wc -l `; # Checks in the current directory #Works fine if files exists.
my $File_Count = `ls $path/*.csv | wc -l `; # I need to Modify this to check in the $path directory

question:
1. First line of code throws error “ls: cannot access *.csv: No such file or directory” when there are no .csv files in the directory. This error msg is displayed on the screen. Can we hide this from dislplaying but I need to capture the output of this line as I need to do further checking based on this output.
2. Is there any way we can pass the $path to the second line?

Regards,
Js

Last edited by jisha; 01-10-2011 at 12:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Passing Parameters and getting values back from a c program to Shell script

I am having a shell script which has to be called from a C program. I have to pass two parameters to this script. HOw can I do that? eg: int main() { char st1; char str2; // call a shell script call_sh(str1,str2) where call_sh is the name of the shell script. then i need to get the return... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing oracle parameters back to Shell

Hi All, Does anyone have any solutions for passing back multiple variables back to the SHELL from a call to an ORACLE procedure: eg #username='scott' #password='tiger' #database='orcl' username='ITGCD03D03' password='tC5epIew' database='ITGCD03D' sqlplus -s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable from a child script back to the parent

Hi I have written a script using ftp to get files from one server and copy them to 2 dirrerent servers. I wish to call this script from a parent script that will check the number of files copied and run a check sum for each file. As the filenames for the files in the get portion of the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy82
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variable to Regular Expression

Hi All, Below is a sample code: print "Enter the Name: "; my $Name = <>; print "Word is $Name"; open (FH,"AIDNameList.txt"); while (<FH>) { my $line; print "Word is $Name"; for $line(<FH>)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a regex as variable to awk and using that as regular expression for search

Hi All, I have a sftp session log where I am transferring multi files by issuing "mput abc*.dat". The contents of the logfile is below - ################################################# Connecting to 10.75.112.194... Changing to: /home/dasd9x/testing1 sftp> mput abc*.dat Uploading... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing error message back to script

I have one script that calls another script during execution. The other script does some processing, then either returns with exit 0 (if successful), or exits with error code numbers (if failed). However, in addition to the error code, I would like for that second script to be able to pass a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing regular expression to nawk

I am trying to test if I can replace a regular expression in 'nawk' with a variable. Please let me know why it is not working. I am using ksh88i on solaris8 I am trying use this test as a building block to filter active external DNS connections. Ideally I want to pass variable defined... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back ticks and $()

In one of my previous threads, someone suggested not to use backticks. When I googled, I came to know that back ticks are deprecated instead $() should be used. But I face issue while using $(). Note: I used echo of the sql just to debug. The following is the code #!/bin/ksh #set -x... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing parameter inside the expression

Hello, i need to pass the variable in place of pwd. how to display variable in the bleow syntax. suppose, passwd="test", then 'id/$passwd..... FEDFlagResult=`sqlplus -S 'id/pwd@(DESCRIPTION= (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1643))(CONNECT_DATA= (SID=peta1)))'<< EOF select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing control back to the shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script(test_abc.sh) with the following shell commands, which are invoking the same shell script with different parameters. test_abc.sh . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . ./test.sh xyz >> test.log . ./test.sh pys >> test.log . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
4 Replies
JZIP(6) 						 John's Z-code Interpreter Program						   JZIP(6)

NAME
jzip - execute Infocom v1-5 and Inform v1-5 & v8 game files SYNOPSIS
jzip [ options ] z-file-name DESCRIPTION
jzip invokes the Z-code Interpreter. REQUIREMENTS
jzip will run under most (if not all) flavors of Unix, including AIX, Solaris, SunOS, HP/UX, Linux, Free/NetBSD, IRIX, NeXT Mach, DEC OSF/1, and others. EDITING
JZip now supports arrowkey editing in UNIX. Up/Down selects the previous / next command in history Left/Right moves the cursor over the line. Backspace deletes Typing inserts under the cursor OPTIONS
-l n lines in display -c n columns in display -r n text right margin (default = 1) -t n text top margin (default = 0) -v display version information -m monochrome mode -y set Tandy bit -s n zmachine strict level, from 0 (none), 1 (report once, recommended) to 3. ENVIRONMENT
jzip looks for the environment variable INFOCOM_PATH and will use the path found there to look for the story file specified on the command line if the story file cannot be found in the current directory. CREDITS
jzip is written and maintained by John Holder (j-holder@home.com), based on the ZIP v2.0 sources by Mark Howell and Olaf 'Olsen' Barthel. AVAILABILITY
The most recent version of jzip can be downloaded from one of: http://www.jzip.sourceforge.net/ ftp://ifarchive.org/infocom/interpreters/zip/ FILES
/usr/games/jzip The Z-Code Interpreter Program /usr/lib/games/zfiles Recommended location for Zcode files RELATED USENET NEWSGROUPS
Interactive Fiction (IF) authors should check out rec.arts.int-fiction, and IF players should check out rec.games.int-fiction. 2.1 JZIP(6)